* Re: multilingual text in frame
       [not found] <E18abYP-0004xd-00@gannet.scg.man.ac.uk>
@ 2003-01-21 18:18 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-01-21 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    So for instance I can display "?Que' es esto?" fine in the buffer
    (with an upside down ?, and an "e acute" which won't go through the
    mail system), but if I try to display it on the frame title, it gets
    truncated after the first ascii character.

    I'm not sure whether emacs should be able to do this, or not, so I
    don't know whether this is a bug, or not!

In principle, the failure to handle multilingual text in any context
is a bug.  There is code in x_set_name (xfns.c) to encode non-ASCII
chars in the coding system compound-text.  Could you investigate
why this feature does not work?

    On a separate front, any advice, as to how to strip non ascii
    characters, or rather translate them to return something equivalent
    (so "e acute" would return "e" and so on), which I could use as a work
    around, would be much appreciated.

I don't think we have anything like this.  We could add it if someone
implements it.

It might be useful in menus, as long as menus can't fully handle
non-ASCII chars.

* Re: multilingual text in frame
@ 2003-01-22 12:16   ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2003-01-22 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

  Phil>     So for instance I can display "?Que' es esto?" fine in
  Phil>     the buffer (with an upside down ?, and an "e acute"
  Phil>     which won't go through the mail system), but if I try
  Phil>     to display it on the frame title, it gets truncated
  Phil>     after the first ascii character.

  Phil>     I'm not sure whether emacs should be able to do this,
  Phil>     or not, so I don't know whether this is a bug, or not!

  Richard> In principle, the failure to handle multilingual text in
  Richard> any context is a bug.  There is code in x_set_name (xfns.c)
  Richard> to encode non-ASCII chars in the coding system
  Richard> compound-text.  Could you investigate why this feature does
  Richard> not work?

I'm afraid I'm only really competent to debug lisp. I've never written
C in anger, or used any of the tools.

  Phil>     On a separate front, any advice, as to how to strip non
  Phil>     ascii characters, or rather translate them to return
  Phil>     something equivalent (so "e acute" would return "e" and
  Phil>     so on), which I could use as a work around, would be
  Phil>     much appreciated.

  Richard> I don't think we have anything like this.  We could add it
  Richard> if someone implements it.

  Richard> It might be useful in menus, as long as menus can't fully
  Richard> handle non-ASCII chars.

I'll think about having a go at this.

Phil