* old ChangeLog files
@ 2002-12-12 14:30 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-12-12 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

A discussion on xemacs-design about the ChangeLog.N files reminded
me that I think we should eliminate them and replace them with
a single Changelog.old file.  This would make it easier to search.

Ideally this should also be merged into `ChangeLog' itself, but
CVS performs poorly with large locally-modified files, so
it's more convenient to keep a "small" ChangeLog file and move
older stuff into ChangeLog.old.

What do people think ?

* Re: old ChangeLog files
@ 2002-12-12 14:46 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2002-12-12 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 09:30:49AM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> A discussion on xemacs-design about the ChangeLog.N files reminded
> me that I think we should eliminate them and replace them with
> a single Changelog.old file.  This would make it easier to search.

I've never had much problem with just using `grep ... ChangeLog.*'

-Miles
--
A zen-buddhist walked into a pizza shop and
said, "Make me one with everything."

* Re: old ChangeLog files
@ 2002-12-13  8:18 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-12-13  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/emacs@rum.cs.yale.edu>
> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:30:49 -0500
>
> Ideally this should also be merged into `ChangeLog' itself, but
> CVS performs poorly with large locally-modified files, so
> it's more convenient to keep a "small" ChangeLog file and move
> older stuff into ChangeLog.old.
>
> What do people think ?

It sounds like a good idea, but won't that cause ChangeLog.old to
grow indefinitely (assuming that Emacs is going to be maintained for
many years to come ;-)?

If the file becomes too large, it might become difficult to browse it
with e.g. Less or even Emacs itself.

* Re: old ChangeLog files
@ 2002-12-13 10:25     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-12-13 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm)
> Date: 13 Dec 2002 12:45:14 +0100
>
> IMO, it would be simpler to provide key bindings in Changelog mode
> that automatically takes you to the previous older / next newer
> changelog file in a series of ChangeLog files.
>
> Maybe we could even have PgUp/PgDn doing this automatically at the
> top/bottom of the current changelog file.

As long as we talk about such features, keys that go to the first
entry of a certain year or to where a certain version was released
would also be very useful (well, to me at least ;-).

* Re: old ChangeLog files
@ 2002-12-13 11:45   ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2002-12-13 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: monnier+gnu/emacs

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:

> > From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/emacs@rum.cs.yale.edu>
> > Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:30:49 -0500
> >
> > Ideally this should also be merged into `ChangeLog' itself, but
> > CVS performs poorly with large locally-modified files, so
> > it's more convenient to keep a "small" ChangeLog file and move
> > older stuff into ChangeLog.old.
> >
> > What do people think ?
>
> It sounds like a good idea, but won't that cause ChangeLog.old to
> grow indefinitely (assuming that Emacs is going to be maintained for
> many years to come ;-)?
>
> If the file becomes too large, it might become difficult to browse it
> with e.g. Less or even Emacs itself.

IMO, it would be simpler to provide key bindings in Changelog mode
that automatically takes you to the previous older / next newer
changelog file in a series of ChangeLog files.

Maybe we could even have PgUp/PgDn doing this automatically at the
top/bottom of the current changelog file.

A similar thing could be done for NEWS files...

* Re: old ChangeLog files
@ 2002-12-13 12:12     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2002-12-13 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: monnier+gnu/emacs

In article <5x65ty16t1.fsf@kfs2.cua.dk>, storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:
>>  > From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/emacs@rum.cs.yale.edu>
>>  > Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:30:49 -0500
>>  >
>>  > Ideally this should also be merged into `ChangeLog' itself, but
>>  > CVS performs poorly with large locally-modified files, so
>>  > it's more convenient to keep a "small" ChangeLog file and move
>>  > older stuff into ChangeLog.old.
>>  >
>>  > What do people think ?
>>
>>  It sounds like a good idea, but won't that cause ChangeLog.old to
>>  grow indefinitely (assuming that Emacs is going to be maintained for
>>  many years to come ;-)?
>>
>>  If the file becomes too large, it might become difficult to browse it
>>  with e.g. Less or even Emacs itself.

> IMO, it would be simpler to provide key bindings in Changelog mode
> that automatically takes you to the previous older / next newer
> changelog file in a series of ChangeLog files.

I prefer the simple idea of making single ChangeLog.old.
Currently sum of lisp/ChangeLog* is less than 5M.  Even if
we keep on using the current 32-bit machine for more than 20
years, and increase the file size by 5M every year, Emacs
still can read it.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org

* Re: old ChangeLog files
@ 2002-12-13 12:30       ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2002-12-13 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:

> > From: storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm)
> > Date: 13 Dec 2002 12:45:14 +0100
> >
> > IMO, it would be simpler to provide key bindings in Changelog mode
> > that automatically takes you to the previous older / next newer
> > changelog file in a series of ChangeLog files.
> >
> > Maybe we could even have PgUp/PgDn doing this automatically at the
> > top/bottom of the current changelog file.
>
> As long as we talk about such features, keys that go to the first
> entry of a certain year or to where a certain version was released
> would also be very useful (well, to me at least ;-).

And to the first entry on any given date...

* Re: old ChangeLog files
@ 2002-12-14 18:32   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-12-14 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: monnier+gnu/emacs

    It sounds like a good idea, but won't that cause ChangeLog.old to
    grow indefinitely (assuming that Emacs is going to be maintained for
    many years to come ;-)?

I think we should leave it alone.