* RE: make bootstrap fails with newest CVS sources - 2002-11-25
@ 2002-11-26 13:49 Ben Key
From: Ben Key @ 2002-11-26 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: GNU Emacs Devel (emacs-devel@gnu.org)

    There appears to be a recursive load (I turned up the recursion check
    from 2 to 3 in fns.c) to get it to fail in lread.

    Recursive load: "/dev/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-macs.el",
    "/dev/emacs/lisp/button.el", "/dev/emacs/lisp/help-mode.el",
    "/dev/emacs/lisp/help-fns.el", "/dev/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-macs.el",
    "/dev/emacs/lisp/button.el", "/dev/emacs/lisp/help-mode.el",
    "/dev/emacs/lisp/help-fns.el", "/dev/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-macs.el",
    "/dev/emacs/lisp/button.el", "/dev/emacs/lisp/help-mode.el",
    "/dev/emacs/lisp/help-fns.el", "/dev/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-macs.el",
    "/dev/emacs/lisp/button.el", "/dev/emacs/lisp/help-mode.el",
    "/dev/emacs/lisp/help-fns.el", "/dev/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-macs.el",
    "/dev/emacs/lisp/faces.el", "/dev/emacs/lisp/loadup.el"

    The chain appears to be cl-macs -> help-fns -> help-mode -> button ->
    cl-macs

How did you get this information?  What did you have to change / enable in
order to get such a detailed report?  I spent quite some time searching for
a way to do something similar so I could provide more information when I
reported the problem, but I failed to find anything.

* Re: make bootstrap fails with newest CVS sources - 2002-11-25
@ 2002-11-27  7:01 Gord Peters
From: Gord Peters @ 2002-11-27  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just tried to compile emacs on Mac OS X and I ran into the problem
where "make bootstrap" fails with the following message:

. . .

Recursive `require' for feature `help-fns'
make[1]: *** [bootstrap-emacs] Error 255
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

I did a bit of digging and found that the change which causes the
problem is in lisp/cus-face.el (between version 1.29 and 1.30).  I'm
not sure why this causes the problem, or what the proper way to fix it
is, but reverting back to version 1.29 of cus-face.el at least allowed
me to compile successfully on Mac OS X.

	Gord

PS. I'm not subscribed to this list so if you have any responses,
please CC me on them.

* Re: make bootstrap fails with newest CVS sources - 2002-11-25
@ 2002-11-26 22:33 Ben Key
From: Ben Key @ 2002-11-26 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have done some work on narrowing down what change was responsible for
breaking make bootstrap.  Here are my results thus far.

After cvs update -D "3 days ago" make bootstrap works.

After cvs update -D "2 days ago" make bootstrap does not work.

This means that whatever caused make bootstrap to fail happened in the last
2 days.

Here is a list of files that were changed in the last 2 days:
  etc/PROBLEMS
  lisp/ChangeLog
  lisp/international/code-pages.el
  lisp/language/cyrillic.el
  lisp/language/european.el
  src/ChangeLog
  src/Makefile.in
  src/alloca.c
  src/lisp.h
  src/unexalpha.c
  src/unexmacosx.c
  src/w32.c
  src/m/ia64.h

I am assuming that we can ignore the following:
  etc/PROBLEMS
  lisp/ChangeLog
  src/ChangeLog
  src/Makefile.in

Therefore, it is most likely that a change to one of the following is at
fault:
  lisp/international/code-pages.el
  lisp/language/cyrillic.el
  lisp/language/european.el
  src/alloca.c
  src/lisp.h
  src/unexalpha.c
  src/unexmacosx.c
  src/w32.c
  src/m/ia64.h

I will let you all know if I have any more luck.

* RE: make bootstrap fails with newest CVS sources - 2002-11-25
@ 2002-11-26 15:51 Ben Key
From: Ben Key @ 2002-11-26 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: GNU Emacs Devel (emacs-devel@gnu.org)

  > Reverting lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-macs.el to revision 1.34 (where cl-macs
  > doesn't require help-fns) makes bootstrap proceed again.

I agree that reverting cl-macs.el to the earlier revision appears to resolve
the problem with make bootstrap.  However, the last time cl-macs.el was
changed was more than 8 weeks ago.  Up until last Thursday night I was doing
a make bootstrap on Emacs once or twice a day and everything worked fine.
Therefore I must conclude that the last change to cl-macs.el was not the one
that broke make bootstrap.  By reverting cl-macs.el we are only hiding the
problem, not solving it.  Something else changed in the last 5 days to break
make bootstrap.

At this time I do not have the time or the resources required to determine
what change really is the culprit, but I feel that it is important that we
make that determination.

* make bootstrap fails with newest CVS sources - 2002-11-25
@ 2002-11-25 17:29 Ben Key
From: Ben Key @ 2002-11-25 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

make bootstrap fails with newest CVS sources.  The error message is as
follows:

Recursive `require' for feature `help-fns'
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"d:\emacssrc\21.3\src/obj-spd/i386/temacs.exe"'
: return code '0xffffffff'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\VC98\bin\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.