* Building Emacs with Cygwin
@ 2002-11-10 21:23 Ben Key
From: Ben Key @ 2002-11-10 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do you build Emacs with Cygwin and Cygwin's X toolkit?  Running
configure causes the following error message to be displayed

  configure: error: Emacs hasn't been ported to `i686-pc-cygwin' systems.
  Check `etc/MACHINES' for recognized configuration names.

Will running nt/configure.bat --with-gcc without the --no-cygwin flag do
this?

* Re: Building Emacs with Cygwin
@ 2002-11-11  7:28 ` Harald.Maier.BW
From: Harald.Maier.BW @ 2002-11-11  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

"Ben Key" <Bkey1@tampabay.rr.com> writes:

> How do you build Emacs with Cygwin and Cygwin's X toolkit?  Running
> configure causes the following error message to be displayed

I assume you need the patches from Joe Buehler. They were posted on
Mon, 30 Sep 2002. I fear they are currently not checked in but I don't
know.

Harald

* RE: Building Emacs with Cygwin
@ 2002-11-12  1:54   ` Ben Key
From: Ben Key @ 2002-11-12  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

I suppose that there are no patches for building Emacs 21.3.50 using Cygwin.
That is too bad.  I wanted to test a Cygwin build of 21.3.50 to see if a bug
I have seen with the 21.2 Cygwin build still exists and if it does, I wanted
to see if I could fix it in 21.3.  The bug, which RMS pointed out to me, is
that C-x C-c does not exit Emacs when running from Bash.

@ 2002-11-12  5:44     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-11-12  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Ben Key wrote:

> I suppose that there are no patches for building Emacs 21.3.50 using Cygwin.

But Harald just told you there _are_ such patches: they were posted here
some time ago.  You should be able to find them by searching the archives
of this list.

* Re: Building Emacs with Cygwin
@ 2002-11-12  7:40     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-11-12  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:54:16 -0500, "Ben Key" <Bkey1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> I suppose that there are no patches for building Emacs 21.3.50 using Cygwin.
> That is too bad.

http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/emacs-devel/2002-September/012932.html

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Building Emacs with Cygwin
@ 2002-11-12 15:34 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-11-12 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:16:41 US/Eastern, bkey1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:

> Will these patches work with Emacs 21.3.50?  In the message is says
> they are for Emacs 21.2.

I don't know. You'll have to try, or ask the author.

> Also, how do I decode the attachments?

You can cut the attachments, save them as ASCII files and pass them
through a base64 encoder/decoder.

Precompiled binaries for Windows are available at:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/base64/

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Building Emacs with Cygwin
@ 2002-11-13 11:33     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-11-13 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: maierh, emacs-devel

    I suppose that there are no patches for building Emacs 21.3.50 using Cygwin.

If you can find patches that do it, we can install them.  It would be
useful for you to figure out exactly what ought to be installed in the
trunk.  If it too simple to need legal papers, you could simply
install it.  Otherwise we should check for papers.  I will show you
how to do that.

* Re: Building Emacs with Cygwin
@ 2002-11-13 15:27 bkey1
From: bkey1 @ 2002-11-13 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/emacs-devel/2002-September/012932.html
I saw this message.  I have two questions though.  Will these patches
work with Emacs 21.3.50?  In the message is says they are for Emacs
21.2.  Also, how do I decode the attachments?

* Re: Building Emacs with Cygwin
@ 2002-11-18 19:23 ` Joe Buehler
From: Joe Buehler @ 2002-11-18 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Forgive me if this is a stupid question:

I submitted patches in September for emacs 21.2 under
Cygwin.  Is the next emacs release going to support
Cygwin out of the box?  My patches were being reviewed
last I heard...

Joe Buehler

* Re: Building Emacs with Cygwin
@ 2002-11-20 21:12   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-11-20 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    I submitted patches in September for emacs 21.2 under
    Cygwin.  Is the next emacs release going to support
    Cygwin out of the box?  My patches were being reviewed
    last I heard...

I think they are going to be installed very soon.

* Re: Building Emacs with Cygwin
@ 2002-11-21 10:20 Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-11-21 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 16:12:32 -0500, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
wrote:

> I think they are going to be installed very soon.

I tried them on EMACS_21_1_RC and wasn't able to compile it. But I'm no
expert with Cygwin.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Building Emacs with Cygwin
@ 2002-11-21 15:17 ` jasonr
From: jasonr @ 2002-11-21 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> I tried them on EMACS_21_1_RC and wasn't able to compile it. But I'm no
> expert with Cygwin.

Perhaps some files generated by the nt build were interfering. We
should probably add a distclean target to the nt makefile to get things
back to an unconfigured state.

If it takes a Cygwin expert to build with these patches, from a clean
source tree then they still need some work.

* Re: Building Emacs with Cygwin
@ 2002-11-21 15:28   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-11-21 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 15:17:10 +0000 (GMT), jasonr@btinternet.com wrote:

> If it takes a Cygwin expert to build with these patches

Well, I'm not saying that :)

Anyway, if Joe Buehler supplies a patch against EMACS_21_1_RC or the
trunk I'm willing to try it again on a clean source tree.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Building Emacs with Cygwin
@ 2002-11-21 19:51   ` Joe Buehler
From: Joe Buehler @ 2002-11-21 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

jasonr@btinternet.com wrote:

> Perhaps some files generated by the nt build were interfering. We
> should probably add a distclean target to the nt makefile to get things
> back to an unconfigured state.
>
> If it takes a Cygwin expert to build with these patches, from a clean
> source tree then they still need some work.

The Cygwin emacs-21.2 package comes with a script to build it from the
21.2 tar file.  There is nothing special in the script, it just applies
some patches, does the build, then packages everything up in the format
that Cygwin wants for installable packages.

If there are problems with the Cygwin port patches I did, I would be glad to
help figure out what is wrong.

Joe Buehler

* Re: Building Emacs with Cygwin
@ 2002-11-21 19:52     ` Joe Buehler
From: Joe Buehler @ 2002-11-21 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Juanma Barranquero wrote:

> Anyway, if Joe Buehler supplies a patch against EMACS_21_1_RC or the
> trunk I'm willing to try it again on a clean source tree.

What's 21.1 RC?  The emacs I am using under Cygwin is built from the 21.2
tar.gz.

Joe Buehler

* Re: Building Emacs with Cygwin
@ 2002-11-21 21:31       ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-11-21 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 14:52:17 -0500
Joe Buehler <jbuehler@hekimian.com> wrote:

> What's 21.1 RC?  The emacs I am using under Cygwin is built from the 21.2
> tar.gz.

Currently, the Emacs in the CVS has two main branches: the HEAD branch (or
"trunk"), where new development is happening, and the EMACS_21_1_RC
branch, from which the bugfix-only 21.3 will be released (hopefully) soonish,
and which is in some sort of feature-freeze.

You should send the patches against one or both versions (though I'm not
sure if there's still time to include such a configuration patch into
the RC).

On the Savannah page (http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs) you can
find directions to get anonymous access to the Emacs CVS.

Juanma Barranquero <lektu@terra.es>

* Re: Building Emacs with Cygwin
@ 2002-11-21 22:04       ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2002-11-21 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Joe Buehler <jbuehler@hekimian.com> writes:

> Juanma Barranquero wrote:
>
> > Anyway, if Joe Buehler supplies a patch against EMACS_21_1_RC or the
> > trunk I'm willing to try it again on a clean source tree.
>
> What's 21.1 RC?

EMACS_21_1_RC is the bugfix branch of CVS that will soon become
21.3.  For our purposes, we are more interested in patches against the
trunk, since that is where these patches would be installed, but
if the 21.2 patches are not installing cleanly against the
EMACS_21_1_RC branch you probably want to update them anyway so
Cygwin can release 21.3 as soon as it is released.

A script that does everything is not really what we want to test, but
I assume it is easy enough to separate your script into the separate
steps of patching the source, and building Emacs using the standard
"configure", "make", "make install" sequence.  The latter is most
interesting, as we have to expect the odd conflict when writing
patches for a moving target such as a live CVS tree.

* Re: Building Emacs with Cygwin
@ 2002-11-22 13:39         ` Joe Buehler
From: Joe Buehler @ 2002-11-22 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason Rumney wrote:

> A script that does everything is not really what we want to test, but
> I assume it is easy enough to separate your script into the separate
> steps of patching the source, and building Emacs using the standard
> "configure", "make", "make install" sequence.  The latter is most
> interesting, as we have to expect the odd conflict when writing
> patches for a moving target such as a live CVS tree.

I submitted the necessary 21.2 patches back in September
on this list.  I have been told that they are being reviewed.

Once they are merged in, I will be happy to grab the CVS and do
a test build.  But I would like some notice when the merge does
indeed happen, rather than polling CVS to see what's new.

Joe Buehler

* Re: Building Emacs with Cygwin
@ 2002-11-22 14:44           ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-11-22 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:39:36 -0500, Joe Buehler <jbuehler@hekimian.com> wrote:

> I submitted the necessary 21.2 patches back in September
> on this list.  I have been told that they are being reviewed.

Hum... I'm not entirely sure there's anyone actively "reviewing them"
(but I could be wrong).

> Once they are merged in, I will be happy to grab the CVS and do
> a test build.  But I would like some notice when the merge does
> indeed happen, rather than polling CVS to see what's new.

IMHO, the best way to send the patches is against the current CVS
versions. Send patches that we can just install (against the trunk
and/or the RC), and it'll be easier to test them and try to detect what,
if anything, is wrong. That way is easier to check if your set up and,
say, mine are alike and what could be causing problems in my system that
do not appear in yours, or what should I change or test to make it work.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Building Emacs with Cygwin
@ 2002-11-22 19:05           ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2002-11-22 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Joe Buehler <jbuehler@hekimian.com> writes:

> I submitted the necessary 21.2 patches back in September
> on this list.  I have been told that they are being reviewed.

I think Eli said he would look at them, but he also said he
was extremely busy, so it may be some time before he can get a
chance. Meanwhile, Juanma has looked at them, but had some trouble.

> Once they are merged in, I will be happy to grab the CVS and do
> a test build.  But I would like some notice when the merge does
> indeed happen, rather than polling CVS to see what's new.

Your current patches are against 21.2. We need patches against the CVS
head to do anything useful with them. I appreciate the work you have
put in to create these patches, but the work does not stop there. The
Emacs development team is stretched as it is, so we need you to commit
to maintaining these patches if we are to make them part of
Emacs. This includes bringing them up to date against the current CVS
tree before we do any merge.

* Re: Building Emacs with Cygwin
@ 2002-11-23 10:26             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-11-23 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: jbuehler, emacs-devel

> From: Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org>
> Date: 22 Nov 2002 19:05:48 +0000
>
> Joe Buehler <jbuehler@hekimian.com> writes:
>
> > I submitted the necessary 21.2 patches back in September
> > on this list.  I have been told that they are being reviewed.
>
> I think Eli said he would look at them, but he also said he
> was extremely busy, so it may be some time before he can get a
> chance.

That's right: I'm still trying to find enough time to look into
those patches.