* Re: etags confused with uppercase filenames (on Windows)
@ 2002-04-02 15:19 Francesco Potorti`
From: Francesco Potorti` @ 2002-04-02 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs developers, Stavros Macrakis

   This particular problem can be solved by adding "EL" to the
   Lisp_suffixes array in etags.c.

Indeed.

By the way, Stavros can circumvent his problem by prepending to the file
names the option --language=lisp.

   However, I don't think etags can be made case-insensitive to file
   names in general, since foo.C needs to be processed as C++ code,
   while foo.c should be processed as C code.

That would not be a big problem, because etags can distinguish C and C++
by looking at the file contents.  But in general, I agree that making
etags case insensitive on file names means losing information, and
is not the right thing to do.

   > This happened to me because in some transfer from one filesystem to
   >another, some piece of software decided to canonicalize filenames as
   >all-caps....

I have an idea, and would like to hear if anyone has anything against
it.

To determine a file's language, currently etags does the following:

1) if the user specified a language, use that
2) else, guess it from the file name
3) else, look for #!
4) ... (other euristics)

I think that I could add:

2bis) else, if the file name is all upcase, upcase the builtin file name
      suffixes and retry

* RE: etags confused with uppercase filenames (on Windows)
@ 2002-04-03 22:01 Stavros Macrakis
From: Stavros Macrakis @ 2002-04-03 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Just to make things weirder, if you have a file called xx.EL, then currently

  etags xx.el

treats it as Emacs-Lisp, while

  etags xx.EL xx*.el xx*.EL

treat it as C.  Conversely, if you have a file called yy.el, then currently
etags treats yy.EL as C, and the other cases as Emacs-lisp.

Apparently etags is not checking the real name of the file, just what it was
named on the command line.

      -s