* Support for ICCCM Extended Segments in X selections
@ 2002-02-22 14:34 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-02-22 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kenichi Handa

I installed today changes that should add support for Extended
Segements in X selections.  Extended Segements are those special
leading control sequences that designate character sets beyond the
list of standard charsets that is given in the ICCCM spec; one notable
example is ISO 8859-15.  Those control sequences begin with "ESC % /",
and users of latest versions of XFree86 reported their sightings in X
selections pasted into Emacs.

Could people who use those versions of XFree86 and set their locales
to ISO 8859-15 please test the new feature and see if it performs as
expected?

A similar feature is available on the RC if you set your
selection-coding-system to compound-text-with-extensions.

In the CVS head version, you can have the previous behavior of X
selection encoding by setting selection-coding-system to
compound-text-no-extensions; the new behavior is on by default in CVS
head.

I'd like to thank Handa-san for his guidance while I worked on this.

Enjoy.

* Re: Support for ICCCM Extended Segments in X selections
@ 2002-02-25 18:13 ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2002-02-25 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, Kenichi Handa

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:

> Could people who use those versions of XFree86 and set their locales
> to ISO 8859-15 please test the new feature and see if it performs as
> expected?

Thanks a lot.  It works for me: 14.95 €

ke@tux:~/Projects/emacs> cat /etc/SuSE-release
SuSE Linux 7.3 (i386)
VERSION = 7.3

ke@tux:~/Projects/emacs> xterm -v
XFree86 4.0.3(156)

ke@tux:~/Projects/emacs> locale
LANG=de_DE@euro
LC_CTYPE="de_DE@euro"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE@euro"
LC_TIME="de_DE@euro"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE@euro"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE@euro"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE@euro"
LC_PAPER="de_DE@euro"
LC_NAME="de_DE@euro"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE@euro"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE@euro"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE@euro"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE@euro"
LC_ALL=

I yanked in UTF-8 and and iso-8859-1 encoced buffers (with unification
enabled).

> In the CVS head version, you can have the previous behavior of X
> selection encoding by setting selection-coding-system to
> compound-text-no-extensions; the new behavior is on by default in CVS
> head.

I didn't try to revert the settings.

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o

* Re: Support for ICCCM Extended Segments in X selections
@ 2002-02-25 19:35   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-02-25 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, handa

> From: Karl Eichwalder <ke@gnu.franken.de>
> Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 19:13:28 +0100
>
> "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:
>
> > Could people who use those versions of XFree86 and set their
> > locales
> > to ISO 8859-15 please test the new feature and see if it performs
> > as
> > expected?
>
> Thanks a lot.  It works for me

Thanks for testing this.