* Emacs icon and Tango
@ 2005-10-24 13:42 Kevin Wright
From: Kevin Wright @ 2005-10-24 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I like the use of the gnu's horns turned sideways as an 'E'. It has a fairly
clear interpretation yet still has a subtle connection to the gnus logo. The
Swiss army knife, kitchen sink, and gnu icons always leave me grasping for
meaning and/or even recognizing what the icon is.

A couple of comments related to Tango have been made, so I'll add a comment
on that.

The Tango style guidelines (
http://tango-project.org/Tango_Icon_Theme_Guidelines) say

   - All Tango icons are stroked with a thin outline
   - Use glossy reflection only on objects that have a reflective surface
   in real life

Stroking the 'E' and reducing the gloss would bring the icons more in line
with Tango.

Best,

Kevin Wright

* Re: Emacs icon and Tango
@ 2005-10-24 14:49 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-10-24 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

>    - Use glossy reflection only on objects that have a reflective surface
>    in real life

Given Elisp support for reflexivity, and the glossy finish of Emacs's user
interface, I think the glossy reflection is clearly justified.

* Re: Emacs icon and Tango
@ 2005-10-24 15:09   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2005-10-24 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kevin Wright, emacs-devel

2005/10/24, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>:
> >    - Use glossy reflection only on objects that have a reflective surface
> >    in real life
>
> Given Elisp support for reflexivity, and the glossy finish of Emacs's user
> interface, I think the glossy reflection is clearly justified.

Clearly we need a variable to set...

-miles

:-|
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

* RE: Emacs icon and Tango
@ 2005-10-24 15:25 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2005-10-24 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

    The Tango style guidelines say
       - All Tango icons are stroked with a thin outline
       - Use glossy reflection only on objects that have a
         reflective surface in real life

    Stroking the 'E' and reducing the gloss would bring the icons
    more in line with Tango.

A picture is worth...

How about showing us?

* Re: Emacs icon and Tango
@ 2005-10-25 15:58   ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-10-25 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

We don't have a commitment in the GNU Project to follow the Tango
project standards.  If they make a suggestion, we should listen to it
as we would any other suggestion.