On Jan 19, 2009, at 1:45 AM, Nick Roberts wrote: >>> It might be acheivable but I doubt GNU would agree to a student from >>> their allocated number working on a port of Emacs to a proprietary >>> platform. >> >> Eliminating bugs from Emacs is *always* a good thing, even for >> proprietary platforms. I think discouraging people from trying to >> improve Emacs based upon the platform they use sends the wrong >> message. > > I think some perspective is needed here: last year GNU, as an > organisation, was > allocated 9 students which meant under one student per project from > those that > had applied. Unless GNUstep is a get out of jail clause, I think > giving people > false hope sends out the wrong message. Of course, all these ideas > are to be > encouraged and should get the support of the mailing list, but > probably only > one, at most, will receive a grant. At the same time, GNU is allotted "slots" based upon the number of interested parties, among other things, so I think encouraging work on all platforms (due note that an emphasis on open platforms is more than acceptable) would result in more interest among applicants overall.