* Pre-release commit etiquette
@ 2007-04-25 17:28 JD Smith
From: JD Smith @ 2007-04-25 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

What are the rules for a commit pre-release?  If you have a small bug
fix for the release version, should it:

1. Be added to the branch EMACS_22_BASE, for later merger into HEAD.
2. Be added to both the branch and HEAD.
3. Be added to HEAD only, with a request to merge the change from
   HEAD->EMACS_22_BASE.
4. Be added to HEAD and held for a future release.

If #3, who handles those requests?  I suppose this depends on whether a
new branch is going to be cut at the actual release point, in which case
(I presume), all branch changes will be merged back.

JD

* Re: Pre-release commit etiquette
@ 2007-04-25 18:22 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-04-25 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JD Smith; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: JD Smith <jdsmith@as.arizona.edu>
> Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 10:28:40 -0700
>
> 1. Be added to the branch EMACS_22_BASE, for later merger into HEAD.
> 2. Be added to both the branch and HEAD.
> 3. Be added to HEAD only, with a request to merge the change from
>    HEAD->EMACS_22_BASE.
> 4. Be added to HEAD and held for a future release.

I think #3.

> If #3, who handles those requests?

I think Richard has the final say, although others will probably
respond with opinions if you post here.

* Re: Pre-release commit etiquette
@ 2007-04-26  4:25 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-04-26  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JD Smith; +Cc: emacs-devel

    What are the rules for a commit pre-release?

I have trouble parsing that question.

      If you have a small bug
    fix for the release version, should it:

    1. Be added to the branch EMACS_22_BASE, for later merger into HEAD.
    2. Be added to both the branch and HEAD.

You should install it in the trunk, and install it in the Emacs 22 branch
if it should go in that branch.

* Re: Pre-release commit etiquette
@ 2007-04-26 14:29   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-04-26 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: miles; +Cc: emacs-devel, JD Smith

Miles,

> You should install it in the trunk, and install it in the Emacs 22 branch
> if it should go in that branch.

Would it be possible to create an Arch branch for EMACS_21_BASE and
automatically merge things *from* that branch to the trunk?

* Re: Pre-release commit etiquette
@ 2007-04-26 15:42   ` JD Smith
From: JD Smith @ 2007-04-26 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Apr 25, 2007, at 9:25 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     What are the rules for a commit pre-release?
>
> I have trouble parsing that question.

It wasn't clear to me if there is a general freeze on all types of
changes in advance of release, and whether the procedure for
committing changes to the release branch is different from normal
trunk commits.

>       If you have a small bug
>     fix for the release version, should it:
>
>     1. Be added to the branch EMACS_22_BASE, for later merger into
> HEAD.
>     2. Be added to both the branch and HEAD.
>
> You should install it in the trunk, and install it in the Emacs 22
> branch
> if it should go in that branch.

OK, thanks.  I didn't want to presume.

* Re: Pre-release commit etiquette
@ 2007-04-27  1:55     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2007-04-27  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel, JD Smith

>> You should install it in the trunk, and install it in the Emacs 22 branch
>> if it should go in that branch.
>
> Would it be possible to create an Arch branch for EMACS_21_BASE and
> automatically merge things *from* that branch to the trunk?

EMACS_21_BASE
       ^ ???

I was sort of holding off an arch branch for the release branch, as the
CVS release branch seemed a bit screwed up (I was waiting to see if
things were going to change or something).

-Miles

--
The automobile has not merely taken over the street, it has dissolved the
living tissue of the city.  Its appetite for space is absolutely insatiable;

* Re: Pre-release commit etiquette
@ 2007-04-27  4:04       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-04-27  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: JD Smith, emacs-devel

>>> You should install it in the trunk, and install it in the Emacs 22 branch
>>> if it should go in that branch.
>>
>> Would it be possible to create an Arch branch for EMACS_21_BASE and
>> automatically merge things *from* that branch to the trunk?

> EMACS_21_BASE
>        ^ ???

Huh!  I think I meant EMACS_22_BASE ;-)

> I was sort of holding off an arch branch for the release branch, as the
> CVS release branch seemed a bit screwed up (I was waiting to see if
> things were going to change or something).

OK, thanks.
My take on changing the branch is: too late!

The only real problem with it is the _BASE suffix instead of _RC.
It's really not that big of a deal.  Better live with it than waste time
trying to fix it (and risk screwing things up).

* Re: Pre-release commit etiquette
@ 2007-04-28  3:43         ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2007-04-28  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel, JD Smith

> Would it be possible to create an Arch branch for EMACS_22_BASE and
> automatically merge things *from* that branch to the trunk?

Ok, I've done this.  The arch branch is called:

   emacs@sv.gnu.org/emacs--rel--22

I've also merged from that branch to the trunk, and noticed a few
problematic bits related to python.el (I'll describe those in a separate
message).

-Miles

--
"Don't just question authority,
Don't forget to question me."

* Re: Pre-release commit etiquette
@ 2007-04-28 14:12           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-04-28 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: JD Smith, emacs-devel

>> Would it be possible to create an Arch branch for EMACS_22_BASE and
>> automatically merge things *from* that branch to the trunk?

> Ok, I've done this.  The arch branch is called:

>    emacs@sv.gnu.org/emacs--rel--22

Thanks, that's great!