From: Fu Yuan <casouri@gmail.com>
To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Writing manuals
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 09:29:28 -0700	[thread overview]

> 在 2021年8月19日,上午9:10,Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> 写道:
>

>> From: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>
>> Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 08:59:32 -0700
>> Cc: Emacs Devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>

>>> What's wrong with the section names you show above?
>>
>> Nothing wrong, just that if we want to add manual for other parsing tools, there could be clashes in title: maybe LSP returns syntax nodes, too, but “Accessing nodes” section is all about tree-sitter nodes. But we’ll worry about that later, as you suggested.
>
> My idea is to put the documentation of other APIs for the same purpose
> in the same section, so there shouldn't be a clash, because there
> won't be multiple sections describing similar facilities, there will
> be just one.

Ok

>> Another problem I discovered when writing the manual is that, my explanation of the query syntax is similar to the official documentation of tree-sitter. Will there by copyright concerns? I’ve written the section describing query syntax, and I’ll write another section describing the grammar definition, these two sections will be similar to their tree-sitter official documentation counterparts, because they cover exactly the same thing.
>
> Well, I can only suggest to use different wording.  Since you are
> describing Lisp interfaces, some phrases will be different by
> necessity, and others because we have a certain style when we describe
> APIs (you should be able to pick up that style by looking in the
> existing descriptions in the manual).

For ELisp functions, definitely, and I wasn’t talking about that part. For query syntax and language definition syntax, because I and tree-sitter doc are talking about the exact same thing, it is harder. I certainly rephrased, and I tried to come up with different examples. I’m just not sure if that is enough (INAL).

>> Perhaps it is best if you can see what I’ve write and compare that with the official documentation. I (force) pushed the latest code to GitHub. I put the manual in parsing.texi. The section describing the query syntax is (elisp)Parsing Program Source > Pattern matching. The official documentation is at https://tree-sitter.github.io/tree-sitter/using-parsers#pattern-matching-with-queries
>
> What is the URL for parsing.texi?  I don't think I have it.

I have it on “ts” branch.

https://github.com/casouri/emacs/blob/ts/doc/lispref/parsing.texi

Thanks

Yuan