* Space between toolbar and window (Carbon?)
@ 2006-02-21 10:51 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2006-02-21 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anyone give me a hint as to whether I can easily remove the extra
space between the toolbar and the window (see screenshot)? It varies
in size with frame height and line height and I'd like to get rid of
it. Where in the code would I have to look? Is this Carbon specific?

[-- Attachment #2: pastedGraphic.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 7629 bytes --]

* Re: Space between toolbar and window (Carbon?)
@ 2006-02-21 22:45 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-02-21 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs-Devel '

David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:

> Can anyone give me a hint as to whether I can easily remove the extra
> space between the toolbar and the window (see screenshot)? It varies
> in size with frame height and line height and I'd like to get rid of
> it. Where in the code would I have to look? Is this Carbon specific?

You cannot remove it ... it is added to make the toolbar area height
to be a multiple of the "nominal" display line height.

The reason for this is buried deeply in the redisplay engine.

I plan to fix this after the release.

* Re: Space between toolbar and window (Carbon?)
@ 2006-02-21 23:18 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-02-21 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs-Devel '

David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:

> Can anyone give me a hint as to whether I can easily remove the extra
> space between the toolbar and the window (see screenshot)? It varies
> in size with frame height and line height and I'd like to get rid of
> it. Where in the code would I have to look? Is this Carbon specific?

The non-toolkit X version has it; the GTK one doesn't.

* Re: Space between toolbar and window (Carbon?)
@ 2006-02-22  8:34   ` YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2006-02-22  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:
>> Can anyone give me a hint as to whether I can easily remove the
>> extra space between the toolbar and the window (see screenshot)? It
>> varies in size with frame height and line height and I'd like to
>> get rid of it. Where in the code would I have to look? Is this
>> Carbon specific?

> You cannot remove it ... it is added to make the toolbar area height
> to be a multiple of the "nominal" display line height.

This part is redrawn on every redisplay even when it is not needed.
Could you take a look at and comment on the patch in the following
message?

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-11/msg00570.html

I've been using this for 3 months and don't find any problems so far.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp

* Re: Space between toolbar and window (Carbon?)
@ 2006-02-22  9:01   ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-02-22  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: David Reitter, Emacs-Devel '

> David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Can anyone give me a hint as to whether I can easily remove the extra
>> space between the toolbar and the window (see screenshot)? It varies
>> in size with frame height and line height and I'd like to get rid of
>> it. Where in the code would I have to look? Is this Carbon specific?
>
> The non-toolkit X version has it; the GTK one doesn't.

Right!

In the non-toolkit version, the toolbar is "just another emacs
window", and currently the height, width and position of all windows
must be a multiple of the nominal frame line height (because the
corner positions of a window is measured in lines and columns rather
than pixels).

In the GTK version, the toolbar is a separate X window, so it's height is
not constrained by this.

* Re: Space between toolbar and window (Carbon?)
@ 2006-02-22 12:24     ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-02-22 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp> writes:

> This part is redrawn on every redisplay even when it is not needed.
> Could you take a look at and comment on the patch in the following
> message?
>
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-11/msg00570.html
>
> I've been using this for 3 months and don't find any problems so far.

The patch looks ok to me.

* Re: Space between toolbar and window (Carbon?)
@ 2006-02-22 16:00     ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2006-02-22 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22 Feb 2006, at 09:01, Kim F. Storm wrote:

> In the non-toolkit version, the toolbar is "just another emacs
> window", and currently the height, width and position of all windows
> must be a multiple of the nominal frame line height (because the
> corner positions of a window is measured in lines and columns rather
> than pixels).
>
> In the GTK version, the toolbar is a separate X window, so it's
> height is
> not constrained by this.

Thanks, Kim.
Is there a face that defines the color of this space? It might look
better if it was in the background color of the frame.

I thought about :margin for the toolbar icon images, however, one
would have to redefine the toolbar every time the frame line height
changes.

* Re: Space between toolbar and window (Carbon?)
@ 2006-02-23  9:13       ` YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2006-02-23  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp> writes:
>> This part is redrawn on every redisplay even when it is not needed.
>> Could you take a look at and comment on the patch in the following
>> message?
>>
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-11/msg00570.html
>>
>> I've been using this for 3 months and don't find any problems so
>> far.

> The patch looks ok to me.

Thanks.   I installed the change.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp

* Re: Space between toolbar and window (Carbon?)
@ 2006-03-04 22:35   ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-03-04 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Can anyone give me a hint as to whether I can easily remove the extra
>> space between the toolbar and the window (see screenshot)? It varies
>> in size with frame height and line height and I'd like to get rid of
>> it. Where in the code would I have to look? Is this Carbon specific?
>
> You cannot remove it ... it is added to make the toolbar area height
> to be a multiple of the "nominal" display line height.
>
> The reason for this is buried deeply in the redisplay engine.
>
> I plan to fix this after the release.

I have installed some (less radical) changes to visually eliminate the
extra space between the tool-bar and text window for non-toolkit
builds (notably on X).

Actually, the limitations of the redisplay engine still exists, so to
eliminate the extra space the height of the tool-bar line(s) is now adjusted
to fill out the screen area allocated for the tool-bar.

However, I found that a little space (in the default background color)
is actually nice to have, so I've made a new variable tool-bar-border
so you can fine-tune it.

* Re: Space between toolbar and window (Carbon?)
@ 2006-03-05  3:51     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-03-05  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: David Reitter, emacs-devel

storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> I have installed some (less radical) changes to visually eliminate the
> extra space between the tool-bar and text window for non-toolkit
> builds (notably on X).
>
> Actually, the limitations of the redisplay engine still exists, so to
> eliminate the extra space the height of the tool-bar line(s) is now adjusted
> to fill out the screen area allocated for the tool-bar.

The changes look very nice!  Thanks very much!

* Re: Space between toolbar and window (Carbon?)
@ 2006-03-09 19:21     ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2006-03-09 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4 Mar 2006, at 22:35, Kim F. Storm wrote:

> Actually, the limitations of the redisplay engine still exists, so to
> eliminate the extra space the height of the tool-bar line(s) is now
> adjusted
> to fill out the screen area allocated for the tool-bar.
>
> However, I found that a little space (in the default background color)
> is actually nice to have, so I've made a new variable tool-bar-border
> so you can fine-tune it.

Thanks very much - looks excellent now.