On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote: > > Seems to me that GNUStep is killing the user experience of the people that > > are actually using the NS port. > > > > > WTF? How do you get to this conclusion? The OP has already been told > that it's perfectly OK to just ifdef out the NS-only code. > > I guess I misinterpreted the last few mails in the discussion. I was left under the impression that only code compatible with GNUStep is eligible for inclusion in Emacs. > > > Maybe this is a policy worth revisiting for the sake of the people > > that use the NS port? > > > > > People who use the NS port and aren't satisfied with it should start > contributing code, because we really don't have nearly > enough contributors. As Jan pointed out, a non-negligible fraction of > bugs fixed in the NS code are due to Jan who could only do that thanks > to the GNUstep support, so claiming that the GNUstep support is killing > the NS port is ridiculous. > > Fair points - I wasn’t aware of the lack of NS contributions. Admittedly I’m not overly familiar with the NS port, having used Emacs mostly on GNU/Linux. I know, however, there is some enhanced NS port of Emacs (https://github.com/railwaycat/emacs-mac-port) and I wonder why aren’t the (some) patches from it applied upstream. Anyways, I’m dabbling into Objective-C and Cocoa right now. If I manage to grok them I might try to contribute to the NS port. Please, accept my apologies, if I offended someone. I meant no disrespect. > > > Stefan