On second inspection, C-M-; is not bound by default. How would you feel about binding the following function to that keybinding? (defun comment-dwim-line (&optional arg) "" (interactive "*P") (comment-normalize-vars) (if (not (region-active-p)) (comment-or-uncomment-region (line-beginning-position) (line- end-position)) (comment-dwim arg))) Obviously a better description than "" is needed, but the behavior of this has changed a bit since it can now afford to (being a different function and keybinding). Rather than relying on the position of (point), it has a clear established behavior of commenting out the current line unless the region is active. On Dec 9, 2008, at 2:48 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote: >> Generally speaking, what makes BOL a "common starting point" to >> perform >> comment-indent more-so than any other part of the line? > > I'm not sure it's much more so, but it's at least as common as > current-indentation, end of line, etc... > >> Additionally, is not BOL semantically the clearest place to run >> comment-dwim >> and expect it to comment out a given line rather than having it run >> comment-indent? > > Could be. I'm not saying your idea isn't good. I'm just saying > that it > is not compatible with the current behavior and that the current > behavior makes sense as well. You may find some other way to combine > comment-indent, comment-kill, and comment-region onto a single key. > E.g. M-; M-; is currently unused. > > > Stefan