And BTW, my code looks like: (defun my-comment-line-region (beg end) "Comment all complete lines in a region using comment-line if the region does not start at a beginning of line, expand it" (interactive "r") (save-excursion (save-restriction (narrow-to-region (get-bol beg) end) (push-mark (point-min)) (goto-char (point-max)) (call-interactively 'comment-line) (pop-mark)))) It seems that narrowing helps avoiding that last comment. Don't know how much of an overkill this might be, but it works for me(tm) Best PA El lun., 1 jun. 2020 a las 7:18, PEDRO ANDRES ARANDA GUTIERREZ (< paranda@it.uc3m.es>) escribió: > Hey, > > thanks for all the answers so far. It's nice to see people getting > passionate about this. > I too had my code to deal with (bol-p end-of-region) and I'm passing it on > to people, > but I started writing a short introduction for students who get interested > in Emacs by > seeing how I use it and well, it'd be so much better for Emacs if I could > get one of the > FAQ answered by something like 'customise variable so-and-so to get your > desired > behaviour' instead of 'include in your .emacs.d/functions.el > and bind function > sensible-comment-lines to M-;' > > I hope the discussion crystallises in some better future :-) > > Best, /PA > PS: and as my signature translates ;-) "questions exist to be made, not to > be answered" > > El dom., 31 may. 2020 a las 23:54, Drew Adams () > escribió: > >> > > You're fairly sure for whom? For you? Not for me. >> > >> > The only complaints against comment-dwim I have seen >> >> I wasn't complaining about `comment-dwim'. >> I was saying that it's not the be-all and >> end-all. I use it for end-of-line comments. >> And I use something else for block commenting. >> >> It doesn't matter to me if you use `M-;' for >> everything. If you're happy that way, great. >> >> > were along the lines "I want to micromanage >> > how comments are made", >> >> I see. If someone says your one-size-fits-all >> dream command doesn't fit all then their idea >> for doing something additional or different >> just wastes your time. Sorry to hear that. >> >> > and not "this code-writing scenario becomes >> > suboptimal". >> > >> > Are you still writing code? I'm surprised, >> >> Surprise! And irrelevant. >> >> > > Tell me why Common Lisp behavior for block comments >> > > (#|...|#) is missing? I don't mean that those macro >> > > chars are missing, but that the block-commenting >> > > behavior (nesting, unnesting) is missing. >> > >> > You might want to elaborate. >> >> I think I did. Maybe you can show us how >> `comment-dwim' provides the same behavior. >> >> > It definitely can create nested comments (i.e. in >> > the cases they are really needed, when you call it >> > on a region containing both commented and >> > non-commented lines). >> >> A bit of a tautology. I can leap over buildings >> in a single bound, in the cases where that's >> really needed, which is when the buildings are >> at most 1-foot tall. >> >> Anyway. The point of this thread is the problem >> with `comment-line' raised by the OP. If you're >> curious why `comment-line' was added, since we >> already had `comment-dwim', see the thread I >> pointed to, where `comment-line' was discussed >> and added. >> > > > -- > --- > PEDRO ANDRES ARANDA GUTIERREZ > Universidad Carlos III de Madrid > > "Fragen sind nicht da um beantwortet zu werden. > Fragen sind da, um gestellt zu werden" Georg Kreisler > -- --- PEDRO ANDRES ARANDA GUTIERREZ Universidad Carlos III de Madrid "Fragen sind nicht da um beantwortet zu werden. Fragen sind da, um gestellt zu werden" Georg Kreisler