* [Po Lu] Some help with e-mail.
@ 2023-03-28 15:18 Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2023-03-28 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Forwarding on behalf of Po Lu

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 6574 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 6367 bytes --]

From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Android port
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 14:10:39 +0800

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> I believe the Android port of Emacs is now more or less feature
> complete.
>
> It can be found on the feature/android branch of the Emacs repository,
> and should support all (mipsel, arm, armv7l, mips64, aarch64 and x86)
> Android devices capable of running Android 2.2 or later.  You can obtain
> a check out of that code like so:
>
>   $ git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git -b feature/android
>
> Please give it as much testing as you can on real hardware from many
> different Android vendors.  Follow the instructions in INSTALL.android
> to build and install Emacs for your specific device.  In addition,
> please submit patches and report editing modes that do not work well
> with the input methods of various on screen keyboards, along with other
> bugs, using ``M-x report-emacs-bug RET.''
>
> The answers to various common questions (such as ``how to access
> external storage'', or ``where does Emacs put its init.el'') are in the
> Android appendix of the Emacs manual in the branch.
>
> Prebuilt binaries will be made available shortly, but please do not
> expect them to contain all dependencies with which Emacs can be built.
> At present, I don't recommend using binaries from f-droid.org, since
> they are out of date, but I will ask the f-droid packagers to rectify
> that problem.
>
> I will post this news to comp.emacs; please post this to other forums
> frequented by Emacs users as well.

Since Android 12 and later utilizes distortable fonts instead of
separate fonts for each style, it was apparently not possible for Emacs
to make use of the system's built in Italic and Bold fonts.

I've now implemented support for distortable fonts.  Would people please
test the latest prebuilts at:

  https://sourceforge.net/projects/android-ports-for-gnu-emacs/

and verify that they indeed work correctly on all of these newer
systems?

Please report bugs with ``M-x report-emacs-bug RET'' as usual.  Thanks.

Robert

* Re: [Po Lu] Some help with e-mail.
@ 2023-03-28 15:47 ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2023-03-28 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, 28 Mar 2023 at 22:19, Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since Android 12 and later utilizes distortable fonts instead of
> separate fonts for each style, it was apparently not possible for Emacs
> to make use of the system's built in Italic and Bold fonts.

“Distortable”? I believe the official name is “variable fonts”, or are
those separate concepts?