On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 at 16:45, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Juanma Barranquero > > Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 17:01:19 +0200 > > Cc: martin rudalics , Eli Zaretskii , > > Paul Eggert , Emacs Development < > emacs-devel@gnu.org> > > > > > "emacs -Q" starts OK. Doing [M-x load-library RET package RET] fails > with "Opening stdio stream: No such > > file or directory, package". > > > > I've bootstrapped Emacs and I don't see that problem. > > > > emacs -Q > > M-x load-library package > > > > works as expected. > > Richard said "installs", so maybe this problem only happens in an > installed Emacs? Richard, do you see the same problem if you run > Emacs from its build tree? To simulate an uninstalled Emacs, you > might need to rename the versioned subdirectory under the share/emacs/ > directory where you install Emacs. > That could be the difference. I usually install Emacs, despite the inconvenience, because then emacs.exe lives alongside all the DLLs it will need and I can set $PATH and `exec-path' to any convenient value for subprocesses. Emacs does launch correctly (at least, it displays a frame) if I run it from the src directory (I didn't need to move the versioned directory aside). I have rebuilt Emacs from a clean repo, and the problem still exists. (If I launch the installed version I get the message I mentioned, and no frame is displayed, and Emacs exits.)