On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 at 03:26, Paul Eggert wrote: > On 9/13/19 12:37 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > My point was that in the > > code of the primitive itself, we have all the information to decide > > whether or not to signal an error; but on lower levels, we don't have > > enough context to make such decisions, so we should only return an > > error indication from those lower levels. > > OK, thanks for clarifying. I reworked the patch along the lines that you > suggested, and installed it into master. > The Windows build is broken again. It seems likely one of the recent commits affecting file error codes is the culprit. The build fails here: rm -f bootstrap-emacs.pdmp ./temacs --batch -l loadup --temacs=pbootstrap emacs: Testing file: Permission denied, c:/projects/emacs/share/emacs/27.0.50/etc/NEWS make[1]: *** [Makefile:817: bootstrap-emacs.pdmp] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory '/c/projects/emacs/src'