On 9 September 2017 at 08:33, Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> From: Richard Copley >> Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 22:08:04 +0100 >> Cc: Paul Eggert , Angelo Graziosi , >> Emacs Development >> >> >> Would you mind also suppressing warnings from find-file-noselect >> >> when called from autoload-find-generated-file, please, if you don't >> >> object? >> > >> > Sorry, I'm not sure that's the right solution in that case. We should >> > try to understand why the problem happens in the first place. E.g., I >> > don't see it here (but I don't use MinGW64 or MSYS2). >> >> Seriously (not being rude)? > > Yes, seriously. You'd expect that much of me, won't you? Yes Eli. >> It seems a lot of work for not much benefit. > > Not IME. I frequently find that the real root cause of such obscure > problems is something altogether unexpected, and sometimes it's the > tip of an iceberg. So I generally find looking into the root causes > of such problems beneficial. > >> That conversion happens often, e.g., in normalize_filename. > > What conversion is that? The down-casing of the drive letter in a native or MSYS file name. >> And it's unlikely a warning from find_file_noselect there is ever >> going to be helpful in catching a new bug. > > You may be right. But we will only know for sure when we have > understood the root cause. It could very well be that there is indeed > a bug, and this warning has already caught it, except that it went > unnoticed until now, because it was never reported before. > > For starters, can you or Angelo tell where did that upper-case "C:/" > originate from? You can see the warnings, for example, by invoking configure by absolute file name with an upper-case drive letter before running make. Usually one uses a relative path and the problem can't arise. I used to see this when I used a complicated Perl script to build Emacs. The upper-case drive letter was just an artifact. It was derived from the current directory of the calling command prompt. > Also, are there other places in the build process > that display file names with the upper-case drive letter? Yes. Transcript attached. > Thanks. Thanks.