On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote: > That sounds weird, indeed. An explanation that comes to my mind > goes along the following lines: > > little change in code > => slight change in some part of the dump process > => memory allocation pattern at that point is different > => some memory zone that used to be `free'able now can't be freed any > more because some surviving object is now placed in that zone rather > in some other zone. Interesting. > IOW the actual live data is pretty much the same, but the larger binary > has a lot more memory that's "allocated from the OS but kept in some > free list". How do the > > Pure-hashed: > Dumping under the name emacs > pure bytes used > > compare between the two builds? I'll check and report back.