On Mon, May 16, 2022, 19:50 Po Lu wrote: > Richard Stallman writes: > > > We have arrived at a deep and fundamental disagreement about what it > > means to make a program clear. I have pointed out that the name "plz" > > gives no information about what the package does. It is totally > > unhelpful. > > > > You contend that an arbitrary and unhelpful name is just as good as a > > helpful name. No, that is not my contention at all. I tried to explain my position as clearly as I could in my last messages. The argument is that we have commands to do searches > > from the name to its purpose and from words in its purpose to the > > name. > > > > Those commands are helpful, but using them is laborious by comparison > > woth the simple verbalconnection. > > > > For the packages feature, I am a beginner. I don't know those > > commands. I will learn these commands if I start using packages more, > > but there will always be many users who are beginners in this. > Users who don't know how to use the package system will not be installing the package in the first place. > > > Whenever we add a new package, we should consider whether to change > > its name first. But plz has not been installed for long. Giving it a > > clear, meaningful name now won't cause any pain. > > I agree completely. There are many unhelpful package names, such as > "corfu", "cape", "eglot", "marginalia" and "mcd". At least eglot could > be renamed "lsp-client", which tells the user exactly what it does. > Those packages have distinctive identities to those who use them. Giving them generic names does not help the user remember them; it has the opposite effect. > > > A clear meaningful name does not have to be long. Someone suggested > > `curl' -- meaningful, and quite short. As I said, I don't want to use that name, because it implies more comprehensive support for curl than I intend to provide in the library. As well, there are other packages that provide a front end to curl. Perhaps `curl-url' would be > > even more helpful, to the many who who don't use curl -- and it is > > still short. > Thanks, but no. > If no one has a better idea, let's rename it that way now. > > curl is already taken. `curl-url' would work, but so would > `curl-http-client', which I think is relatively more meaningful. > As I've said, long, purely descriptive package names like that are less useful in the long run, as well as simply being too long. At this time, I don't intend to rename the library. Were it to be proposed for merging into core someday, that would be different--but as has been said, that won't be the case anytime soon, if ever. >