Say we go a conservative approach and we only load custom-file automatically if set by the user. We wait to see if people like it and then include a message when custom-file was already loaded by the user. And finally we attempt the 'revolution' setting a default value for custom-file and requiring users to set it to nil if they want the original emacs behaviour. Attached is an attempt at a patch for the first step: /PA On Wed, 5 Jan 2022 at 11:54, Colin Baxter 😺 wrote: > >>>>> Robert Pluim writes: > > >>>>> On Wed, 05 Jan 2022 17:17:12 +0800, LdBeth > said: > >>>>> In <87bl0q8vfa.fsf@yahoo.com> > >>>>>>> Po Lu wrote: > > >>> Most people were certainly happy for at least the past decade. > > LdBeth> I think saving custom set variables to init file somehow > LdBeth> prevents using byte compiled init.el file effectively > LdBeth> (unless the user hooks auto compile whenever it is changed > LdBeth> by emacs). From that perspective, I'm happy to see that this > LdBeth> behavior is to be changed. > > > This is one of the two things that people do with Emacs that I > > just donʼt understand. My init file contains setq and > > custom-set-variables and key bindings. Any actual code that would > > benefit from byte-compilation is stored in separate files. So why > > do people byte-compile their init files? > > Well, I can't speak for "people" but I can say why I byte compile my > ~/.emacs, which I've done for many years. I have found it to be a useful > check on my lisp in finding silly errors. It has also on more than one > occasion allowed me to run emacs when my ~/.emacs was either corrupted > or "helpfully" over-written by some application. I wouldn't tell other > users to do the same - what they do is up to them. > > Colin > > -- Fragen sind nicht da um beantwortet zu werden, Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden Georg Kreisler