Hi, I know that dropping .emacs altogether might be radical. I was trying to tease in order to start a discussion. However, my point is that currently, if you want to have a separate custom file, all you have do is to set and load the custom-file in your init.el I have this at the end of my init-el (as I think many have) ;; ;; Customisations ;; (setq custom-file (locate-user-emacs-file "custom.el")) (load custom-file 'noerror) What I propose is to agree on a default value for custom-file that could potentially be changed by the user in init.el or .emacs and do the (load custom-file 'noerror) after loading the init file as a default behaviour for Emacs Having a separate customisation file by default can ease debugging, resetting customisations, bookkeeping, etc. etc. /PA On Mon, 3 Jan 2022 at 15:47, Robert Pluim wrote: > >>>>> On Mon, 3 Jan 2022 07:13:22 +0100, Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez < > paaguti@gmail.com> said: > > >> Message: 1 > >> Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 20:03:13 +0800 > >> From: Po Lu > >> To: xenodasein--- via "Emacs development discussions." > Pedro> > >> Cc: xenodasein@tutanota.de > >> Subject: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA > >> Message-ID: <87v8z2jqf2.fsf@yahoo.com> > > Pedro> If the default custom file has always been the init file, maybe > the > Pedro> idea could be to create the custom file separately in a default > Pedro> location instead and keep init and custom files separated. I > don't > Pedro> remember when I started using /custom.el as my custom > Pedro> file. Maybe something like that could be made the new default > custom > Pedro> file and /init.el the default init file instead of > ~/.emacs > > The latter is already kind of the case: if /init.el exists > and ~/.emacs doesnʼt, init.el is used. If youʼre proposing swapping > that so that init.el is used even if .emacs exists, then thatʼs never > going to fly, but I for one would have no objections to customize > saving stuff to init.el if the user has no config at all. But Iʼd let > someone else write and test the code :-) > > Robert > -- > -- Fragen sind nicht da um beantwortet zu werden, Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden Georg Kreisler