I stand corrected ... this is what happens when the morning coffee has not yet kicked in and you write an email ;-) So, in my case, i observe that the root window both on my Linux Laptop and on the Macbook Pro coincides with the device's display. I have the device on my right and I place an additional physical display on the left. So the + 32 in my code is the equivalent I found to the (left . 32) (top .32) in the xx-frame-alist. And once again, it would be nice to have something to mimic the behaviour of my code in Emacs. I don't know, maybe an (on-active . t) in the xx-frame-alist??? Just a suggestion... /PA On Wed, 21 Sept 2022 at 07:45, Po Lu wrote: > Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez writes: > > > OK... a longer answer ;-) the moment you include (top . xxx) or (left > > . xxx) in the (default|init)-frame-alist the vales are taken as > > absolute values in the window manager's space, and Emacs will be > > placed (normally) somewhere in the display that is designated as 0 > > (the Linux laptop or MacBook Pro) independently of which display you > > were when you lunched Emacs. > > Well yes, that's intentional behavior. Setting `top' or `left' tells > the window manager to try very hard to place the frame at the specified > location on the screen. If you want the frame to be placed at the > correct location, you will have to either remove both position > parameters from initial-frame-alist, for it to be positioned by the WM, > or manually specify the position of the monitor you want. > > A note about terminology from the POV of Emacs: the normal coordinate > space of a connection to the X server (the connection is referred to as > a "display") is relative to the root window of the display's default > screen. A screen is then split into different "monitors", which are > potentially overlapping rectangular subsets of the screen's root window, > normally displayed in a single physical monitor, not counting overscan > or underscan. > > `top' and `left' coordinates are specified relative to the root window > of the screen, not "in the display that is designated to 0", nor is such > a coordinate system affected by the monitor in which the initial frame > was created. Where in the root window coordinate system individual > monitors are placed can only be determined by the output of > display-monitor-attributes-list. > -- Fragen sind nicht da um beantwortet zu werden, Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden Georg Kreisler Headaches with a Juju log: unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet