* Re: Re: Should yaml-ts-mode inherit from prog-mode?
@ 2023-03-05  6:15 Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2023-03-05  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Yuan Fu

On Mar 3, 2023, Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Mar 3, 2023, at 1:00 AM, Rudolf Schlatte <rudi@constantly.at> wrote:
>>
>> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>>
>>> Deriving from prog-mode or from text-mode doesn't mean much in practice.
>>> I see it as less of a formal taxonomy of programming languages, and more
>>> of a convenience measure to make changes that (vaguely speaking) "all
>>> programming modes" or "all text-related modes" have in common.  E.g. I
>>> have this in my init.el:
>>>
>>>  (add-hook 'text-mode-hook #'flyspell-mode)
>>>  (add-hook 'prog-mode-hook #'flyspell-prog-mode)
>>
>> Similarly, I use variable-width fonts for text mode buffers and fixed
>> width fonts for prog-mode buffers.  Since in yaml indentation is
>> significant, it would be preferrable for me to have yaml-mode inherit
>> from prog-mode, if only for convenience's sake.
>>

>Agreed. I think of prog-mode as “programming mode” as opposed to “prose mode”, aka text-mode. In that sense, deriving from prog-mode makes more sense to me.

>In text related to programming, one would assume monospace font, flyspell-prog-mode, structured text, etc.

>Yuan

1+ And that should also be applicable to 'non-ts' yaml-mode.

Best, /PA

Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden
Georg Kreisler

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should
run a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet

* Re: Re: Should yaml-ts-mode inherit from prog-mode?
@ 2023-03-21 16:10 Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez