If something is long-standing, I'd rather have it in init.el and leave custom.el for "experiments". Wouldn't that make interacting with emacs more dynamic/attractive to new users? /PA On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 at 18:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Robert Pluim > > Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 17:49:22 +0100 > > Cc: Eli Zaretskii , "emacs-devel@gnu.org" < > emacs-devel@gnu.org>, > > Stefan Kangas , > > "paaguti@gmail.com" > > > > Drew> If you want to change, to use only `custom-file' > > Drew> for `custom*' stuff, move such settings from > > Drew> your init file to your `custom-file'. (And yes, > > Drew> we should have a command that does that moving.) > > > > Making people who wish to retain long-standing behaviour set a > > variable or edit a config file for something as fundamental as loading > > and saving customizations is not something I would want, ever. The > > *only* case I can see where we could set custom-file to eg > > ~/.emacs.d/custom.el (and maybe load it automatically) is for people > > with no customizations. > > Agreed. > -- Fragen sind nicht da um beantwortet zu werden, Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden Georg Kreisler