It's a really good question... I started on an HP700, it created the .emacs file and I was always confused about what I had written myself and what emacs was doing. Then I started on an Sun Workstation and there they had installed XEmacs. It was there where i stumbled across the .emacs.d/custom.el file and I found the idea cool. I investigated a bit and adopted loading the custom file. I never investigated how customisation where added to .emacs I don't know how common my way of working is but I try out things using Custom and then, if I adopt them, they become a part of my permanent config. Maybe Custom wlll need to check and eventually remove customisations from .emacs if custom-file is defined... would that be feasible? IT isn't something you do 10 times a second, right? Best, /PA On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 at 16:17, Stefan Kangas wrote: > Eli Zaretskii writes: > > > What would that mean for users that currently save their > > customizations through Custom in .emacs? Would it mean that the next > > time they save customizations, they will be written to another file > > and removed from .emacs? > > Good question. > > I imagine that we would just leave things in place for such users. It > would be slightly jarring to have things moved around behind the users > back. > > But maybe it would be a good idea to provide a migration command to > conveniently move things. > > Or we could prompt the user about moving it. To avoid being annoying, > we could record the answer, and not prompt again if the question was > already asked. > -- Fragen sind nicht da um beantwortet zu werden, Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden Georg Kreisler