Thanks for that :-) It's a first step. However, the *-ts-mode.el files still go through the .el compilation, yielding error messages during the compilation. Additionally, they get installed in the binary distribution: emacs-29 ➤ find Emacs.app -name \*-ts-\* Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/c-ts-mode.el.gz Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/c-ts-mode.elc Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/cmake-ts-mode.el.gz Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/cmake-ts-mode.elc Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/dockerfile-ts-mode.el.gz Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/dockerfile-ts-mode.elc Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/go-ts-mode.el.gz Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/go-ts-mode.elc Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/java-ts-mode.el.gz Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/java-ts-mode.elc Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/json-ts-mode.el.gz Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/json-ts-mode.elc Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/ruby-ts-mode.el.gz Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/ruby-ts-mode.elc Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/rust-ts-mode.el.gz Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/rust-ts-mode.elc Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/typescript-ts-mode.el.gz Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/typescript-ts-mode.elc Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/textmodes/toml-ts-mode.el.gz Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/textmodes/toml-ts-mode.elc Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/textmodes/yaml-ts-mode.el.gz Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/textmodes/yaml-ts-mode.elc That may be a source of confusion ... Just my .02cents, /PA On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 at 09:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez > > Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 17:53:06 +0100 > > > > Now: My experience in the last couple of weeks is that there are > tree-sitter modes in the Emacs tree that > > have non-ts counterparts in MELPA only. And that's been frustrating. > Basically because I don't compile ts > > support and despite that, the treesit .el files are installed and used. > Example: dockerfile-mode is in MELPA > > only. So when I recently opened a Dockerfile, I got an error saying that > Dockerfile-ts-mode couldn't start > > because my emacs hasn't ts support compiled in. > > > > I would have prefered to see the dockerfile opened in text mode with no > errors. And then, when I install the > > Dockerfile-mode package from MELPA, start working with all the goodies I > got from installing the package > > from MELPA. > > > > My gut feeling is that if I don't have treesit support compiled in > Emacs, I don't want *-ts-*.el files in my elisp > > tree nor any side effects related to these files. Sorry to say, but I > feel that the enthusiasm about treesit some > > have is a bit pushing for me. And I feel uncomfortable when pushed. > > Please try the latest emacs-29 branch, where the tree-sitter based > modes have been made entirely optional. > -- Fragen sind nicht da um beantwortet zu werden, Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden Georg Kreisler Headaches with a Juju log: unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet