Message: 15 Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 10:50:10 +0800 From: Po Lu > To: Jon Snader > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org > Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: ns-do-applescript > Message-ID: <871qwbd999.fsf@yahoo.com> > Content-Type: text/plain > Jon Snader writes: ... >>> The ns-do-applescript call is (or could be considered) simply a call >>> to an OS specific interface routine. It's useful for many things >>> besides getting contacts and its presence in *in the macOS Emacs >>> build* hurts no one, whereas its removal is sure to cause lots of >>> inconvenience for Mac users and those writing packages for the >>> platform. > We don't want to make things convenient for Mac users, when those things > are not possible on a free system. Just as Emacs doesn't provide > "OS-specific interface routines" to perform tasks on non-free operating > systems that are not possible on free ones. Yes, I repent, I confess... I use Emacs on a macOS... as I write shell scripts (bash/zsh), gawk, Inkscape, GIMP, LaTEX, etc. Exactly the same way I do this on my Linux system(s) and on the VMs I create and share. And while I'm using DBus in Linux for forward/backward searching between *TeX and PDF, I do use ns-do-applescript for some of that magic on macOS. Same goes for bringing the Emacs window to the top of the desktop and for other functions. I think all the traffic started because someone asked whether a pure elisp alternative to ns-do-applescript could be found and call-process to osascript was proposed. Humbly yours showed how to do such a thing (at least on my very rudimentary use of osascript). So, yes, you can write it in ELisp, but I can't tell you whether it makes sense to scare people away from Emacs by not providing functionality (IMvvHO that would be a pity). The argument "now you see what you could be doing in Linux" has already given some fruits in my experience. Best, /PA -- Fragen sind nicht da um beantwortet zu werden, Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden Georg Kreisler Headaches with a Juju log: unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet