From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com>
To: incal@dataswamp.org, emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Re: Should native compilation be enabled by default?
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 07:28:37 +0100	[thread overview]

Emanuel wrote:
>Björn Bidar wrote:
>
>>> Native compilation is useful mainly for power users who
>>> want to run Lisp programs that normally are too slow.
>>> There is no sense directing most users into doing things
>>> gthe complex way instead of the simple way.
>>
>> I don't "power user" is the right word here. Most users that
>> actively choose native compilation had some kind of use case
>> that was to slow e.g. programming with lsp that made use
>> Emacs with native compilation but I would say most of them
>> were experienced.
>
>It isn't true that native compilation is only for power users.
>It is for everyone that cares for a snappy user experience in
>their everyday Emacs use. This is the biggest benefit from
>native compilation - it makes Emacs faster all the time, every
>time you push a button, almost, so it is not just when the
>supposed power users execute some really exotic and advanced
>Elisp (not sure who does that at all or anyway, but it sounds
>cool so let's include them as well).

In theory I would agree would you, but lately I'm rethinking native
compilation because... well I have two systems, one on Linux
(nice recent i5, lots of memory, and SSD) with native comp
enabled and one on macOS (not so new i5, slower clock for sure,
same amount of RAM  as my Linux and less SSD) without
(because I didn't want to go through the fuzz of installing the
libraries for native compilation on it) and guess what,
both are "crispy" enough to not make me miss native compilation on macOS...

I don't know how much of a power user I am (and don't give a dime to
know, but du .emacs.d yields
26332 .emacs.d
with all my packages, snippets, etc. on my Linux) and I'm sometimes tempted
to go without native compilation on my Linux...

Just my uninformed .2 cents, /PA
--
Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden,
Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run
a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet