Hi, I've continued thinking about this and have come up with: Make sure this evaluation does not load any files, or call functions like @code{posn-at-point} or @code{window-in-direction}, which themselves evaluate the mode line, as doing so could cause infinite recursion. or Make sure evaluating @var{form} does not load any files, or call functions like @code{posn-at-point} or @code{window-in-direction}, which themselves evaluate the mode line, as doing so could cause infinite recursion. I personally would highlight this. Putting that in a separate paragraph may help or adding a bold *CAVEAT* before. My feeling is that being in the paragraph dilutes the importance of this kind of advices, not only here, but also in other places in the manuals. I know this can may take long, but IMHO this would improve the manuals a lot. Best, /PA On Wed, 4 Sept 2024 at 17:11, Stephen Berman wrote: > On Wed, 04 Sep 2024 15:55:29 +0200 Stephen Berman > wrote: > > > On Wed, 04 Sep 2024 15:25:20 +0300 Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > > >>> From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez > >>> Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2024 09:02:18 +0200 > >>> > >>> >evaluation cannot load any files, nor calls functions like > >>> >@code{posn-at-point} or @code{window-in-direction}, which themselves > >>> >+evaluate the mode line, as doing so could cause infinite recursion. > >>> > >>> Shouldn't that be 'cannot load any files nor call functions'? > >> > >> No, because "calls" refers to 'evaluation", which is singular, not > >> plural. > > > > The clause beginning with "nor" is a complement of "can", so the verb > > must be a bare infinitive, i.e. "call" and not "to call", but also not > > "calls", since that's not an infinitive form. If you find "nor call > > functions" hard to parse, the more explicit "nor can it call functions" > > is an alternative. > > After seeing your new rewording, I see that my "more explicit" > alternative phrasing is not good in the full sentence, which I didn't > see when I responded (a correct alternative is "nor that it can > call...", which sound somewhat stilted, or simply (and better) "and > cannot call..."). (Your new rewording is fine, though I think "neither > loads any files nor calls functions like..." might be understood to > imply nothing else is excluded from evaluation, while with "does not > load any files or call functions like..." that implication seems > weaker.) > > Steve Berman > -- Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden, Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden Georg Kreisler Headaches with a Juju log: unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet