Hi again, Maybe the attached patch to the doc can help other people and show why I was confused. It's the first time I have to disable a feature globally to then activate it for specific modes. To a possible question about the motivation: I use .txt for quick scribbles, logs etc. where completion-at-point stands in the way of productivity, but I might give it a try in.. say.. org-mode. On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 at 07:22, Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez < paaguti@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi Eli, > > On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 at 19:57, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > >> > From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez >> > Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 18:56:25 +0200 >> > Cc: emacs-devel >> > >> > > We don't have to agree: this is why you can customize Emacs to work as >> > > you'd like. The defaults, by contrast, are set to fit what most users >> > > want. So we will change the default only if enough people come up >> > > complaining about the current default and preferably provide reasons >> > > other than just annoyance. >> > >> > Let’s agree on not agreeing. I just would like you to understand that >> it’s not “annoyance” I’m trying to express. I’m just trying to voice my >> concern that this auto-completion may impact on some people's ability to >> use Emacs. Concentration deficits are no joke. >> >> IME, these completions are more or less the de-facto standard nowadays >> in many text-editing environments, so I don't think many people will >> be distracted to such a great degree. I'd rather think they should >> expect it. But time will tell who is right. >> > > Maybe our backgrounds are different. I have dealt all my life with people > with different degrees of ability, due to condition, age, etc. > Very brilliant people, indeed, who do not shine as much as they could, > because "not many people are distracted by ". > Attention deficits are no joke. > > >> > On an Emacsish plane, what puzzles me is that the only way I’m able to >> disable this feature is in early-init.el because the auto-completion >> function is added when initializing text-mode. >> >> You should be able to disable it at any point, provided that you use >> Customize or setopt. If this somehow doesn't work, please submit a >> bug report with all the details. >> > > I'm on it... > > >> >> > And I’m worried that a feature with such an impact was so little >> documented. >> >> It is documented in the same section where Text Mode is described. >> But if you have suggestions for improvements in the documentation of >> this feature, please send them. >> > > BR/PA > -- > Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden, > Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden > Georg Kreisler > > Headaches with a Juju log: > unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run > a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet > > -- Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden, Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden Georg Kreisler Headaches with a Juju log: unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet