For the original poster, because they might be used to running primarily a distribution-installed version of emacs: the code for unix-based GUIs has supported a variety of these sorts of elements for a very long time, depending (currently) on whether you build emacs with the Athena, Lucid, Motif, Athena3D, or gtk[,2,3] toolkits. Under macOS, one has the ns and mac ports, and under MS Windows, it uses the local gui toolkit (which I believe is the core W32 look and feel, not the frequently-shifting WPF, Windows Forms, Metro, UWP, etc. standards). Even within these systems, there are options inside emacs for giving buttons a 3D look or not, and there are many packages that add icons to emacs' display (via fonts, as far as I can tell) that can 'spiffy up' emacs considerably. It would probably be helpful for emacs' adoption if some of these gui enhancements could be added to emacs and/or ELPA more directly. To be specific, it would perhaps be helpful for emacs new-user adoption if people didn't feel the need to adopt a large integrated package like Spacemacs or DOOM emacs just to get graphical niceties -- not because those bundles are bad, but because they add a *lot* more than just the gui enhancements. The past couple years has seen a bit of an explosion of packages like better-defaults or "starter kits" that aim to improve the new-user experience without such a large overhead, but those still require getting emacs from somewhere other than GNU or the standard distrubutions, which is an extra hurdle. I would be happy to help with such an effort, but I'm unsure what sorts of changes would be acceptible to "core emacs", and I don't personally have anything major to add to the existing set of third-party starter kits or mega-bundles. If someone here had a clearer idea, that would be helpful. Maybe the first step is to try to get all-the-icons ( https://github.com/domtronn/all-the-icons.el) or an analogous package included in emacs? Hope that helps! Thanks, ~Chad On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 10:16 AM Dmitry Gutov wrote: > On 15.04.2020 17:31, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > >> I think the difficulty here is to look "contemporary" and yet fit every > >> platform Emacs is run on. Button widgets look different on each. Even > >> between GUI toolkits. And change between releases. > > > > There are only 2 variants: native buttons (provided by some toolkit) > > or the ones we draw ourselves. And there's no requirement that they > > all look the same, I think: they should have the look-and-feel of the > > toolkit being used. > > These are implementation options. But either the "ones we draw > ourselves" are designed to fit each platform, or they looks the same > across platforms, with our personal look. > > The latter option is sometimes taken by professional applications in > which the user spends most of their time (e.g. Blender, or at least some > of it earlier versions that I've tried). > > >> The other option, of course, is to look both modern and unique, but it's > >> a harder proposition, especially without a graphical designer on the > >> team. And this stuff gets outdated quickly. > > > > I think "modern and unique" is a contradiction of terms nowadays ;-) > > In principle, I disagree. But it's difficult, and it's a balancing act, > of course, between having them look distinct and interesting, but still > familiar enough, and not too "tacky" (meaning, a design too exotic can > become an eyesore after a while). It's a problem that bigger companies > put whole design departments on. > >