On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 12:14 PM Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote: > Eli Zaretskii writes: > > >> > I use C-o (usually followed by C-n) many times a day, instead of > >> > , in order to suppress re-indentation of the current line in > >> > cases where that re-indentation will be incorrect for my purposes**. > >> > >> Oh, I see -- it's useful as an alternative to `RET' exactly when > >> re-indentation does the wrong thing? > > > > Yes, but not only that -- it doesn't move point to the next line, > > unlike RET. > > Right, but in the use case described, the `C-o' is followed by `C-n', so > it's just to suppress faulty re-indentation, apparently. > > And I think that's a valid use case -- Emacs does get these things wrong > now and then, and having an escape hatch readily available seems > useful. Perhaps the doc string of `RET' (i.e., `newline-and-indent' in > most modes) should mention (and link to) to `C-o'? > I'm having a hard time finding a behavior difference between `C-o C-n' and `C-j' in these contexts. Can someone help me understand the difference? Thanks in advance, ~Chad