I fear that this discussion might have veered too far into theoretical territory for some of the conversants, and probably not the _same_ theoretical territory for everyone. With that in mind, I *think* that what Lynn Winebarger is asking for might be best answered by: Try digging into the package-quickstart part of package, especially > p-q-refresh and p-q-maybe-refresh. On the other hand, I think that the best answer to "should emacs-devel actually care about loading scads of packages" might be: There seem to be a lot of (potential) emacs users, especially in the > "interested but not already heavily enfranchised subset", that make use of > emacs "distributions", and that model would probably benefit from > improvements to "loading scads of packages". This doesn't answer the "should" question, but I think it provides a closer-to-real-practice basis for consideration. Hope that helps, ~Chad