On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 11:00 AM Alan Third wrote: > On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 02:49:48PM -0800, chad wrote: > > (the toolkit code used by the ns port is potentially at/beyond its > > theoretical end of support) > > I think you've got this a little backwards. > > The Mac port used to use Carbon, which is beyond it's end-of-life, or > is at least not seeing new feature development. The Mac port also uses > a lot of "NEXTstep" (Cocoa) code, which is still the current toolkit > for macOS and iOS, although it has another name on iOS and I can't > remember what it is. > > The NS port is almost entirely "NEXTstep" (GNUstep and Cocoa, > specifically). > Apologies for misleading with my bad and/or out of date memory; Alan is certainly better informed than I am here. Since it had been a while, I dug in a bit and found this relevant information in the mac port: https://bitbucket.org/mituharu/emacs-mac/src/master/README-mac This might be useful to anyone looking at the alternatives. Thanks, ~Chad