On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 11:56 AM Daniel Colascione wrote: > It should be fast enough for all modes. This isn't 1985. Computers in > general are *several orders* of magnitude faster than needed to do real > time syntax highlighting in general. Other editors don't seem to > struggle. > Tree sitter is very fast. If regular editing is stuttering because of > fontification, we have bad data structures, algorithms, or architectures > --- that is, bugs. And we shouldn't add user options to paper over bugs. > That's ridiculous. I can't believe we really want to propose a "please > make > syntax highlighting wrong" user option. > I'm all for keeping context in mind, and I think that part of that is Eli's unusual circumstances: running unoptimised builds with extra checking enabled. I don't know what his particular hardware is like, but my laptop is a medium-spec i5 from ~4 generations back running debian inside a lightweight VM, and I can both scroll from top to bottom of src/xdisp.c and open the file and immediately Esc-> to the end without (being aware of?) font-lock falling behind. Are other people having much worse experiences than this? Is there some other situation where emacs developers are frequently seeing problems? I don't do anything with C++ anymore, and I haven't bothered setting up LSP here. Thanks ~Chad