On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 12:13 AM, Daniel Colascione wrote: > On 04/21/2014 12:10 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > Why untabify at all? Using tabs and spaces is the default GNU coding > > style, so why should we stray from that? > > In Lisp code, using tabs makes no sense: code is frequently lined up > precisely, so you get a mixture of tabs and spaces anyway, making it > impossible to use a different tab-width. +1, especially since we specify (tab-width . 8) in trunk/.dir-locals.el. > (It's an uphill battle you'll lose anyway, because many people, yours > > truly included, have indent-tabs-mode set non-nil, > > Don't do that then. > I've sometimes wondered why trunk/.dir-locals.el doesn't also specify indent-tabs-mode, but I found the rationale in this thread[0] from several years ago. Still, it would be nice to find a way to avoid the battle Eli mentioned so people could C-x h C-M-\ with less risk that their personal indentation preferences would introduce gratuitous whitespace changes. [0] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-01/msg00058.html Josh