* Shouldn't it be easier to find info on how to learn Emacs to recognize compiler output?
@ 2012-01-25 21:26 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2012-01-25 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

I have for a while just plovr (a javascript compiler). The output from
plovr is infortunately not following the usual standard so Emacs does
not recognize it. Two questions:

- I can't remember how to change the way Emacs looks for errors. And
it is hard to find it. Should not that be a bit easier? For example
compilation-mode might have a link to it.

- What is the normal formatting of compilation errors called?

* Re: Shouldn't it be easier to find info on how to learn Emacs to recognize compiler output?
@ 2012-01-26  2:13 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-01-26  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

> - What is the normal formatting of compilation errors called?

The one we recommend is the GNU standard (looks like "file:line:message").

* Re: Shouldn't it be easier to find info on how to learn Emacs to recognize compiler output?
@ 2012-01-26  6:04   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2012-01-26  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 03:13, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> - What is the normal formatting of compilation errors called?
>
> The one we recommend is the GNU standard (looks like "file:line:message").

Thanks. And if they want to give the column?

* Re: Shouldn't it be easier to find info on how to learn Emacs to recognize compiler output?
@ 2012-01-26  7:00     ` Sven Joachim
From: Sven Joachim @ 2012-01-26  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, Emacs-Devel devel

On 2012-01-26 07:04 +0100, Lennart Borgman wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 03:13, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>>> - What is the normal formatting of compilation errors called?
>>
>> The one we recommend is the GNU standard (looks like "file:line:message").
>
> Thanks. And if they want to give the column?

They should use "file:line:column:message".

Sven

* Re: Shouldn't it be easier to find info on how to learn Emacs to recognize compiler output?
@ 2012-01-26  8:52       ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2012-01-26  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Joachim; +Cc: Lennart Borgman, Stefan Monnier, Emacs-Devel devel

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 08:00, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

>>> The one we recommend is the GNU standard (looks like "file:line:message").

>> Thanks. And if they want to give the column?

> They should use "file:line:column:message".

According to

http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Errors

its

sourcefile:lineno: message

and

sourcefile:lineno:column: message

or

sourcefile:lineno.column: message

(Note the space between the colon after lineno/column and message.)