I just took a closer look to see if someone did not make a better version of Brackets since brackets lacks a lot of functionality. Google did. They integrated something like it in the browser. Take a look at Workspaces here and test it in Chrome. Amazing. Chrome DevTools Revolutions 2013 - HTML5 Rocks http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/developertools/revolutions2013/ On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 10:35 PM, Lennart Borgman wrote: > I have tested Brackets a bit the latest days, using it beside Emacs. It > was not as integrated to the browser as I thought, but it is still useful. > I have used it to edit CSS files and mixed files. It looks up all the > places that it think might apply to an element in HTML. Unfortunately it > does not seem to have one of those features I really would like: Parsing > CSS media queries. It does not tell me which media query is used where and > what the limits are for them. It does not even show the media queries at > all in the Quick Edit (which is the feature we are discussing). > > I think it is the same for CSS classes. > > I guess they just stopped the development before implementing such useful > features. It is of course quite a bit more complex to implement that part, > both on the parsing level and UI level. > > Still, it is useful. And implementing those simple features in Emacs would > not be that hard, I think. A crucial part would be to setup the connection > between different files. (A little bit of that is in nXhtml.) > > And yes, it could be used with other languages too. Perhaps it can be > useful for class-based languages, but that requires good parsing. > > > > On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 10:21 PM, Mathias Dahl wrote: > >> Hi Arthur, >> >> This is a very interesting feature! Not only would it be useful for the >> scenario described by you and others in this thread, but I also think it >> would be useful for temporarily showing definitions from another place in >> the same file that you are editing. Sure, there are tooltips, overlays and >> whatnot that can do the same thing ("intellisense") but sometimes actually >> seeing the full definition right where you are might be useful. No need to >> jump back and forth, with a key you could show the definition of a function >> where you are, and with another key it would be hidden. You would be able >> to copy pieces of text from it and whatever. That being said, I have never >> ever seen a feature like this before, and that could be an indication that >> it is not actually useful, or no-one has thought of a crazy idea before the >> Adobe people did it... >> >> /Mathias >> >> >> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 2:29 PM, arthur miller wrote: >> >>> Hi, >>> >>> my name is Arthur, and I just subscribed to this list. Though I am new >>> to this list, I am not so new to Emacs.I have just a question/thought about >>> a feature I would like see in Emacs, hope you don't mind. >>> >>> Lately Adobes Brackets editor has got some popularity (It seems to be >>> pretty much Emacs on javascript). I am not really into using it full time, >>> since I am good with Emacs, but I do like the idea of mulitple file editing >>> in one buffer. It is like context-aware multi-file editing or what it >>> should be called. They use it to edit css or javascript while editing html >>> file, så that one does not have to switch between buffers/files. It seems >>> pretty handy, and I would kind-a like to see implementation for C/C++ >>> (macros, templates) and so on. >>> >>> I think it shouldn't be impossible to do now, since Emacs already can >>> split window and show multiple buffers. How difficult would it be to add a >>> mode/feature to "expand" a buffer (split window) under the current line and >>> load exact part of a file with of course correct langauge mode and so on. I >>> guess semantic package would be needed since it seems to be similar context >>> awareness as it is needed for code completition. >>> >>> I am not knowledgable about Emacs internals, so I don't really know >>> where to hack, but wonder if something similar is already implemented or >>> "on the way". >>> >>> >>> >> >