On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Glenn Morris > > Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 13:31:50 -0400 > > > > One thing that could help reduce this is more unit tests. > > If you haven't used it, ERT makes it pretty easy to write tests. > > Of course, many aspects of Emacs's behaviour are not easy to test (GUI > > stuff, etc.), but many are. See test/automated/ for examples. [2] > > > > For example, package.el seems like something that should have a test > > suite. > > > > So if you fix a bug, please consider adding a unit test to make sure it > > does not come back. Or if you rewrite a lisp package, consider adding > > tests at the same time to check that obvious functionality still works. > > > > I know writing tests is maybe not as interesting as writing shiny new > > features, but I think it will save work in the long run. > > IMO, unless we require every new feature to come with a test and a > report that no regressions were found by running the existing tests, > we will never get any better testability than what we have now. > > Maybe writing tests for all bugs that shows up?