Can your response be summarized like this? "Let's keep doing the same thing we're doing now and get the same result we've been getting for decades." > Today, there is a wealth of on-line > information, with tutorials, how-tos, discussions, code > samples, and help readily available to anyone who asks > politely. Sure, but when I search "emacs org-mode deadline agenda" on Google, I get an helpful page from org-mode manual as the first result. I want to sort by deadline, not see what's due today. "I want to do X" guides don't appear. "emacs org-mode sort by deadline agenda" gets me this that just tells me to follow another link and read several more paragraphs: https://orgmode.org/manual/Sorting-of-agenda-items.html Compare that to most task managers that simply show you where on the GUI to do it. I want a guide and a lecture, not a lecture and a puzzle. Even if it's a little puzzle, I shouldn't have to think about it to do a task other people have done before. Say what you will about it "taking time to learn." I think the documentation is poorly organized. On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 1:32 PM Bob Newell wrote: > > In your long posting with many ideas about making Emacs > beginner friendly, there is much to consider, and I must say > right at the start that easing the Emacs learning experience > is a worthy goal. > > It does raise the question: how did the current Emacs users > learn Emacs? I can't speak for anyone else but I don't know > that my own experiences are in any way unique. I learned first > from the tutorial, then from some of the manuals, then by doing > and experimenting and reading more of the manuals, and trial > and error. > > Could this have been more efficient? Yes, of course. But I did > I learn a lot in the process--- a very serious "lot"--- and it > cemented my knowledge and appreciation of what Emacs could, > and was already, doing for me. > > Do I advocate pure bumbling in the dark as a means of > learning? No. But perhaps guided bumbling is more of the > thing. > > We can never forget something critically important: Emacs is a > very sophisticated, very powerful tool, and like all such > tools, it takes effort and dedication to learn. (Even lesser > tools, like office suites, take effort to learn, if perhaps in > lesser amounts.) > > While we can and should do all we can to make the road > smoother--- short of turning Emacs into something completely > different and so overwhelmed with tooltips, popups, and other > "help" that it becomes unpleasant or even unusable--- let's > face it, Emacs is never going to be "easy." > > Emacs will continue to attract a certain audience. I'm not > sure that this is an issue per se. Nor (as I've said in the > past) do I mean this to be an elitist thing. Emacs has a > certain appeal to certain people. So does opera, baseball, or > liver and onions. > > Things are, in fact, very much easier now than when I started > with Emacs decades ago. Today, there is a wealth of on-line > information, with tutorials, how-tos, discussions, code > samples, and help readily available to anyone who asks > politely. > > But in the end: do you become a chess master after reading a > "Chess Made Easy" book? Do you become a concert guitarist > after working through "Guitar Playing Made Easy For > Beginners"? > > Effort and reward go together, whether it's Emacs or anything > else that is deep and sophisticated. If someone wants instant > gratification, maybe Twitter is a better choice. > > -- > Bob Newell > Honolulu, Hawai`i > > - Via GNU/Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB > >