I am not sure this is best. I would prefer "Freedom-respecting software" somewhere on the home buffer, to attract people to the cause of free software. On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 3:03 AM Jean Louis wrote: > * James Lu [2021-02-13 00:12]: > > Some distributions of Emacs, such as Spacemacs, replace Emacs' splash > > screen with one that heeds no mention to free software. (Spacemacs > includes > > a logo of Spacemacs, a bunch of menu items, and a changelog.) > > > > In order to avoid another fiasco of the sort of the GNU/Linux > controversy, > > where a variant of GNU software was called something else and > disassociated > > from free software, I propose we exercise section 7.4 of GPLv3 to require > > "require preservation of specified reasonable legal notices or author > > attributions in that material or in the Appropriate Legal Notices > displayed > > by works containing it" > > Maintainer and author of Spacemacs has understood your proposal and > have changed all files to include GPL3 as how it is specified in the > license, included LICENSE file in the distribution and is now changing > the splash screen to include copying conditions. > > See: > https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/pull/14552 > > syl20bnr commented 3 hours ago > > Should fix #14444 > > Added the LICENSE file. > Added GPLv3 terms explicitly to each elisp file > Updated the years to 2021 > Cherry on the cake, added the GPLv3 logo to the README file: > > And wishes to add button on the main screen pointing to copying > conditions. > > I wish best for increasing Emacs user number through Spacemacs and We > hope for creation of more free software and better understanding with > help of Spacemacs developers! > > Jean > >