Go to a conference. Find some random person. You want a representative sample. Pay them to try Emacs. Then watch them use Emacs. https://www.nngroup.com/articles/why-you-only-need-to-test-with-5-users/ On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 3:28 PM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2020 21:58:24 +0300 > > From: Jean Louis > > Cc: jamtlu@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org > > > > > > It is your opinion. > > > > > > Each one of us expresses his or her own opinions. It's a trivium. > > > > Sure, but we talk about users, so to say that one cannot learn the > > stuff in general, should be supported by some kind of a survey. > > Same is true for your opinions. > > > The fact is right now is that not every tooltip is usable > > "Not usable" in your opinion. I disagree. > > > So it will happen to new user to get confused. Users expect tooltips > > to describe the function, and description shall be made better > > understandable. > > You (and anyone else) are welcome to suggest improvements. But the > fact that there's place for improvement doesn't yet mean that what we > have is unusable or confusing. > > > > > I tried finding what should undecided-unix mean, and I cannot find, I > > > > just found that "unix" is alias for "undecided-unix". > > > > > > Type "C-h i m emacs RET i undecided RET", and read there. > > > > I did not find the definition for undecided-unix by following your > > example. That it is alias, does not define it. > > I don't think I understand why. Quote: > > The coding systems ‘unix’, ‘dos’, and ‘mac’ are aliases for > ‘undecided-unix’, ‘undecided-dos’, and ‘undecided-mac’, respectively. > These coding systems specify only the end-of-line conversion, and leave > the character code conversion to be deduced from the text itself. > > (The previous text explains what is "end-of-line conversion".) > > > > Not "experienced", but one who have read some minimal introductory > > > material about the Emacs UI, and/or have learned how to use the manual > > > to search for (as yet) unknown concepts. > > > > For that group of people I disagree they need any tooltip > > then. Tooltip is for users to understand it, it is not for Emacs UI > > skilled people. It is for unskilled. > > I didn't say "skilled". Users aren't divided into those who know > nothing and those who are "skilled". There are many degrees of gray > in between. > > > > The logic is that when they find some term that is not clear, and the > > > text there doesn't have a hyperlink to where that term is described in > > > more detail (there usually is), then the user should go to the > > > Glossary and search the term there. > > > > Sure, you know it. But does it say anywhere? Does it guide the user? > > Having a glossary is one of the basic traits of any serious > publication. Not unlike having a TOC. I expect readers to know about > that and actively search for it. > > > > Once again, there are limitations of what can be usefully said in a > > > short menu entry and its tooltip. If you have practical suggestions > > > for how to use up the available screen estate better in that case, > > > please propose how to improve the wording we have there. > > > > I think that general principles shall be set first, as to improve > > wording, there are so many that could be improved, the descriptions > > should not be written in first place that do not describe it > > meaningfully. So I do not speak of a specific bug, I speak of general > > flaws hindering understanding for users. > > There are no "general flaws" in this context. These aspects of Emacs > documentation and UI were worked on for many years by many talented > people. So any flaws are likely specific and not general. > > In any case, speaking about "general flaws" without any concrete > details and concrete proposals for specific menu items or tooltips is > not a very useful investment of our time. So if this is what you > intend to talk about, I'm afraid I won't be able to continue > participating in this thread. > > > > > I am not speaking of myself Eli. I am speaking of new user viewpoint. > > > > > > So am I. > > > > Alright, then your viewpoint for new users is way advanced. > > Your words. I disagree. > > > So something like: > > > > Search files (Grep...) is using the external shell command "grep" that > > searches the named input files for lines containing a match to the > > given pattern. > > That is basically what the tooltip already says. >