From: Donald Curtis <dcurtis@milkbox.net>
To: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
Cc: Steve Purcell <steve@sanityinc.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: MELPA version numbers
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 13:49:52 -0700	[thread overview]

I apologize for the difficulty of finding contact information. We try to do
most dealings via GitHub which we know doesn't work for everyone.

This would work as a solution except for that we would then break updates
for current users in the same way that it would break if someone stopped
using MELPA. It is also not clear in this case how to handle packages that
don't include a version number.

I'm happy to keep this discussion open as I know it affects many users as
well as developers.

One solution I might suggest is the approach that js2-mode has taken on the
GNU repo. It seems that their versions follow with MELPA sans the time. I
think that having arbitrary version numbers for things like extensions is a
little overkill and MELPA is at least a little evidence that versioning
based in the date of release *can* work. In this case it could be as simple
as the Emacs community endorsing a release date based versioning system.