* Question on Emacs menu-bar keyboard shortcuts and command aliases
@ 2024-10-14 15:40 Ship Mints
From: Ship Mints @ 2024-10-14 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

We've used easy-menu to define a menu for the menu bar. It works nicely.

In the package in question, we define command aliases to be sufficiently
short to make them easier to type and also better fit into which-key
displays. The originating commands remain more fully-qualified names both
for completeness and backward compatibility for existing users.

We recommend that users bind keys to the shorter aliases vs. the original
commands. In line with the alias recommendation, the menu-bar menu is
defined using command aliases.

But...where people bind keys to fully-qualified commands, their keyboard
equivalents won't be displayed in the menu. I understand that there could
be conflicting keyboard equivalents on a command vs. its alias(es).
However, where there is only one binding and/or the same binding for both,
it would be nice to have it be displayed on the menu, nonetheless.

Anyone know a good trick or two to help here? If not, it'll remain a
documentation issue.

TIA,

-Stephane