* Custom themes: safe themes
@ 2011-09-07 17:52 Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2011-09-07 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

When I first tried to load my Emacs-23-compatible Custom theme in a
nightly build of Emacs 24, I was prompted with "Loading a theme can run
Lisp code. Really load?" Since I wrote the theme myself, I'd like to
prevent this prompt.

The `custom-safe-themes' mechanism doesn't really work for me, because
different machines might have different versions of the theme installed.
I'd really rather not carry around N sha1 hashes in my .emacs file, and
I don't want to get prompted anew whenever I happen to make a change in
the theme.

So I guess I have to use the (new) NO-CONFIRM argument to `load-theme'.
Because I use the same .emacs across all machines & have different Emacs
versions installed in different places, the only safe way to call
`load-theme' with this argument looks to be:

                     (condition-case nil
                         (load-theme 'foo t)
                       (wrong-number-of-arguments
                        (load-theme 'foo)))

This is kind of gross. It would be nice if `custom-safe-themes' had a
way to bless all versions of some theme, instead of requiring a
different entry per version.

(Actually, I ended up not even using `load-theme' to load my theme, but
for another reason which I'll detail in my next email.)

Ted

* Re: Custom themes: safe themes
@ 2011-10-01 18:28 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-10-01 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edward O'Connor; +Cc: emacs-devel

"Edward O'Connor" <hober0@gmail.com> writes:

> The `custom-safe-themes' mechanism doesn't really work for me, because
> different machines might have different versions of the theme installed.
> I'd really rather not carry around N sha1 hashes in my .emacs file, and
> I don't want to get prompted anew whenever I happen to make a change in
> the theme.
>
> So I guess I have to use the (new) NO-CONFIRM argument to `load-theme'.
> This is kind of gross. It would be nice if `custom-safe-themes' had a
> way to bless all versions of some theme, instead of requiring a
> different entry per version.

This seems like a reasonable request.  I added a special value of t to
`custom-safe-themes' for this purpose.  Thanks for the suggestion.