On Sun, Jul 31, 2022, 9:06 AM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Lynn Winebarger > > Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 08:53:57 -0400 > > Cc: Po Lu , emacs-devel > > > > Does this mean that just resetting purify-flag is enough to avoid the > > problem? If so, I think purify-flag is only meant for preloaded > > packages, and dumping Emacs with additional packages isn't supposed to > > set that flag. Or maybe loadup.el should load an additional file > > (beyond site-load and site-init), after it resets purify-flag? > > > > I'm not sure why you'd not want to use the purify flag, since there are > a lot of explicit calls to purecopy that > > appear intended to take advantage of hash consing. I don't know why > that benefit should not apply to > > libraries being preloaded by site-load and site-init. > > We will remove pure space at some not-too-distant future, which is a > clear sign that it is not very important in the pdumper builds. So > investing time in something that works when purify-flag is off doesn't > sound like a good investment to me. > I see your point. I'm not that familiar with the policy on doing maintenance releases on older versions (27 and 28 in particular). Is pure space elimination going to be incorporated in those as well? Asking because AFAIK, 28.1 is only released as an rpm for "rolling release" type distributions at this point, while (admittedly near EOL) installation of RHEL 7.x still provide 24.3 as the "latest release" (for that antiquated version). Lynn