On Sat, Jun 4, 2022, 1:57 AM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Lynn Winebarger > > Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 15:17:51 -0400 > > > > Unfortunately most of my "productive" experience in a Windows > environment has been in a corporate > > environment where the configuration is opaque to end users. For all I > know, it's not just a network issue but > > could also involve the security/antivirus infrastructure. > > I can tell you that at approximately 1000 files in a directory, any > process I've designed that uses said > > directory slows down dramatically. Just displaying the contents in file > explorer exhibits quadratic behavior as > > the process appears to start refreshing the listing before completing > one pass. > > You can try setting the w32-get-true-file-attributes variable to the > value 'local. > > Or maybe the following entry from etc/PROBLEMS will help: > > ** A few seconds delay is seen at startup and for many file operations > > This happens when the Net Logon service is enabled. During Emacs > startup, this service issues many DNS requests looking up for the > Windows Domain Controller. When Emacs accesses files on networked > drives, it automatically logs on the user into those drives, which > again causes delays when Net Logon is running. > > The solution seems to be to disable Net Logon with this command typed > at the Windows shell prompt: > > net stop netlogon > > To start the service again, type "net start netlogon". (You can also > stop and start the service from the Computer Management application, > accessible by right-clicking "My Computer" or "Computer", selecting > "Manage", then clicking on "Services".) > I was only intending to illustrate a situation in which a local packager (internal to an organization) might want to (a) provide pre-compiled versions of elisp files that may or may not be from files installed in the "lisp" directory, while (b) not wanting to have huge numbers of files in a particular directory for performance reasons. The performance issues I've experienced are not particular to any individual application, and the way the Windows systems are configured I may not even reliably be able to tell if a given application is stored on a local or network drive (although performance may lead me to believe it is one or the other). They do appear to be particular to the context in which I have been using Windows, though. > As for elpa being created in the user's cache, that depends on whether > the user has access to the gccjit > > infrastructure > > If the user cannot use libgccjit on the user's system, then why *.eln > files from external packages are relevant? They will never appear, > because native compilation is not available. > > So I don't think I understand what you are saying here. > > If you have in mind ELPA packages that come with precompiled *.eln > files (are there packages like that?), then the user can place them in > several directories and adapt native-comp-eln-load-path accordingly. > So again I don't think I understand the problem you describe. > A local packager can precompile anything they like and put it in the system native-lisp directory, no? I'm not sure if the package system would find it if installed as a package by the user, but many packages are just single files that can just be placed directly in site-lisp and used directly. > > this was one of the points mentioned in > > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-01/msg01005.html as > it related to the system lisp files. > > Sorry, I don't see anything about the issue of eln-cache location > there. Could you be more specific and point to what was said there > that is relevant to this discussion? > I was thinking of these: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-01/msg01005.html particularly: I don't understand yet the packaging requirements, is it not possible to copy additionally the native-lisp/ folder to the package? and then these points: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-01/msg01009.html https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-01/msg01020.html Lynn