On Sat, Aug 6, 2022, 8:57 AM Lynn Winebarger wrote: > On Sat, Aug 6, 2022, 2:07 AM Lynn Winebarger wrote: > >> I've added another flag variable that allows me to turn off the ban on >> implicit loading in dump mode. >> > > The dump with all ~2500 ELN libraries loaded completed last night. > Unfortunately during startup (before any frame opens) one of them is > evaluating an expression with an argument that should never produce nil but > somehow is nil. > Fortunately I can now redump with just the offending library in > site-load. The error prints fairly quickly when run normally, but shared > libraries evidently open a lot slower under GDB. > Hopefully I'll get the same error with the smaller dump and be able to > determine if there's an issue in the dump file, the dump loading, or > something else. > It started up fine when I only explicitly added the one library with the failing expression, and then again when I dumped after loading the original list up to that library. The good news is that emacs starts in a couple of seconds with 1198 ELN files in the dump. I haven't been able to compile with profiling enabled on this system, but I can tell you that is a couple of orders of magnitude faster than just loading them in .init. Lynn