On Mon, Feb 6, 2023, 9:07 AM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Lynn Winebarger > > Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 08:37:46 -0500 > > Cc: Andrea Corallo , Stefan Monnier < > monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>, > > emacs-devel > > > > On Mon, Feb 6, 2023, 8:05 AM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > > > Yes. I'm saying that for re-dumping one should make sure that the > > additional dumped *.eln files are in the ../native-lisp directory > > relative to where the Emacs binary lives, and then when Emacs is > > restarted, it will find those *.eln files at startup time. > > > > Are you saying dump-emacs-portable supports preloaded native-compiled > libraries now? > > No, I'm saying that starting Emacs assumes the dumped *.eln files live > in one of two possible locations, and you must make sure they are in > one of those two locations, or else Emacs will fail to start. > Then I'm confused by what you mean by "re-dumping" above. I'm only referencing the result of starting temacs in dump-mode. Andreas may well be correct that there are no additional challenges for native-compiled libraries than there would be for byte-compiled, aside from the part of the build process ensuring those eln files exist in the right location that you note. But since dump-portable-emacs is available for the byte-compiled case, these limitations are most noticable for someone attempting to dump native-compiled libraries. As soon as a library requiring cl-lib is included, the prohibition (in dump-mode) against autoloading and circular requires is a problem. Lynn